Flowers in Redfoot diet?

Chelseaa

What types of flowers are good for red foot tortoises? How would I obtain these flowers? I do not know where to get them. Local grocery stores? Or grow them myself?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USDA Zone 4a+
I don't know about redfoots specifically, but as far as edible flowers I know my sulcata adores dandelion, hibiscus, nasturtium, clover, african violet and occasionally geranium and roses. I am looking forward to my squash plants flowering later this summer so he can try those, too.
As far as obtaining them, I have heard they sell some edible flowers in grocery stores, but I would always recommend growing them yourself. You just never know what types of chemicals they may have used.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
My tortoise loves hibiscus. I bought a hibiscus plant JUST for her, planted it in my yard...well, it appears that it's a favorite of some other animals, too, because all the flowers have been eaten. Even the buds :(

Dandelion is another favorite, and I give her the occasional hosta flower and pansies. Tried african violet, she hated it.

Here's a good list of house plants that may help you in deciding what to feed your tortoise:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=5

If you're in a colder climate like me, I would recommend buying this thing called Herbal Hay which is just a mix of dried flowers that I sprinkle over my tortoises food twice a week. It's good to have during the long winter.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hibiscus are a favorite, you can usually find them dried in speedy, or you can grow them yourself
Pansies a atrium 's are also popular

Chelseaa

My tortoise loves hibiscus. I bought a hibiscus plant JUST for her, planted it in my yard...well, it appears that it's a favorite of some other animals, too, because all the flowers have been eaten. Even the buds :(

Dandelion is another favorite, and I give her the occasional hosta flower and pansies. Tried african violet, she hated it.

Here's a good list of house plants that may help you in deciding what to feed your tortoise:

http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plants_19.asp?thissection=5

If you're in a colder climate like me, I would recommend buying this thing called Herbal Hay which is just a mix of dried flowers that I sprinkle over my tortoises food twice a week. It's good to have during the long winter.

Awesome! Thanks so much for the info! Is the herbal hay in the small pet section at pet stores?