Fly River Turtle Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnie05

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I recently just got a fly river turtle (aka pig nosed turtle) about size 7-8 cm. i come from indonesia so its not hard to get them...

I havent seen too many caresheet about this species and i want to ask a few questions to experienced owners just to make sure im doing things right

I notice my FRT does not like taking the food that floats in the aquarium... i gave it romain lettuce when it floated, it doesnt eat but when i strap it to a rock with a rubber band and sink it, my FRT ate the lettuce..

1) Is that a normal behavior? because i see some videos of FRT in youtube and they seem fine with eating things that floats

2a) If it is normal, then I would need food that sinks.. can someone help me name good diet for FRT with food that sinks? (eg. I tried giving it pellets but my FRT wont eat it maybe because it floats)
And for animal/meat food diet, pls include way to keep the item stored so it doesnt go bad.

3) Do FRTs need to get direct sunlight too? I keep mine indoors and since FRT is full aquatic turtle i did not put a basking spot unlike other semi aquatic turtle but i was wondering if it still needs to get direct sunlight to help it process food/grow etc

I know there arent a lot of this species outside Australia/Indonesia but as this is probably the biggest international tortoise/turtle forum im hopin an expert can answer my questions :) THX

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alabama
You probably don't see too many caresheets about them because they are illegal in most parts of the world. Therefore, a lot of people don't have enough experience keeping them in captivity. Of course, there are always people who will skirt the law, but still, writing a caresheet may bring unwanted attention to one's self, if you know what I mean.

I really don't know much about them myself. I have no idea what they eat in the wild. UVA/UVB lighting may not be required, but it probably wouldn't hurt. If I were setting one up, I would provide UV light in some way.

Check out this caresheet if you havent already - http://www.tortoise.org/archives/pignose.html

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Near Disneyland
Hello Vinnie05,

Congratulations on getting a very rare and beautiful fully aquatic* turtle!
*(Fully aquatic except when female lays her eggs in the sand by the river she resides.)

These turtles if not taken care of properly die very easily. They are a investment in time, space and $$$!

These turtles get big quickly, must be feed a balanced diet, people tend to feed them too much protein which causes shell disfigurement.
Also if not feed proper nutrients they easily get ill from fungal infections. Once they get fungal infections they can die quickly.

Not good pet for cold areas because they need higher water temps (80-85 F) all the time... even winter -they do not bruminate.

Fly rivers require a large aquarium- they get up to 25" wide or more.... think a minimum 200 gal or more when he becomes bigger, mine is about 7 years old, in a 245 gal....and I am trying to figure out how to get a larger tank in the house LOL!

These turtles require super clean tanks, in my 245 gal I have 1 fluval fx5, and 2 aquaclear power filter 110, (sigh), and I am forever changing and cleaning the tank to keep the water clean.

When their living and food requirements are met, Fly river turtles flourish and are joy to be around. Mine is big, tame, chunky and will actively swim to people and engage in active begging!

Sorry to give you the negatives, ... I give you this information so you can have a positive experience of having a live and thriving Fly river.

Here are two of the best caresheets on fly river turtles.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?16611-Fly-River-Pig-Nose-Turtle-Care-Sheet

http://www.tortoise.org/archives/pignose.html

If you have more questions PM me.

Wishing you the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.