flys

Status
Not open for further replies.

mybabytorts

5 Year Member
My tortoise enclosure/mud is atracting flys is there anything I can do to prevent it as it's in my room at d mo :L

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi MyBabyTorts:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

What would you like for us to call you?

Also, when we know approximately where you are, it helps us design our answers to better fit your questions.

What kind of tortoise?

What kind of substrate?

What kind of light?

Can you send us a picture of the habitat?

I'm thinking because of your use of the word "mud" that you have the substrate too wet, but I'll need to know the answers to the questions before I say for sure.

mybabytorts

5 Year Member
People call me tei I live in England and have not even had my tortoises for long I am nearly 14. My enclosure has been atractingany fly my mud is dry the light is at Least 40w and I think ,think that I'm using all purpouse mud .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tei:

Oh, I see...you're calling the substrate "mud", but its not really wet mud, just the regular substrate. Ok...

Well, some substrates just seem to attract little flying creatures. Do you know what kind of substrate you have? Is it coconut coir?

I don't think your light is big enough to provide enough heat for your tortoise. What kind of tortoise is it? I use a 100 watt light and it gets the habitat nice and warm for the tortoise.

mybabytorts

5 Year Member
They are Hermans and are very young. im not sure what type of sub.
But the guy that sold me the torts gave me a booklet to read and it said between 40-60w I haven't had them for that long and I'm only familer with the information provided on the Internet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Tei:

Here's a link to a Hermann's care sheet that was written by one of our members here on the Forum:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Hermann-s-Tortoise-Care-Sheet#axzz1jeIinpGg

Chris (the author), raises Hermann's tortoises and really knows his stuff. You can believe what he tells you.

But, in the meantime, you really need to get those babies warmed up. For the time being, just put a regular 100 watt bulb over their habitat.

mybabytorts

5 Year Member
Thanks for all the help it's been usefull il take a look at d link
Once again thanks

Attachments

• image-3777400219.png
    image-3777400219.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 7

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What kind of flies? The little gnatty fruit flies or the the big housefly/horse flies?

Status
Not open for further replies.