fruit flys

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulisadad

5 Year Member
hi every one
I have a 10 year old red food
Who lives in a 6ft x4ft table with cherry bark. I change the the bark every few months. But do a sweep Daily to remove clumps. And I wet the bark 2 times a day there seems to be small flys in the bark any idea what's the way forward are they harmfully what's best way to control them

View attachment 33051

Regards
Paul

paulisadad

5 Year Member
there seems to be lots of small things in the bark insects
there are none on larry and not in his food just in the bark
If any one has any ideas please let me know
I manage to get a pic of 1 have posted it below

image-3468812697.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Paul:

This is because you have to keep the substrate moist for the tortoise. I suggest you clean out your cherry bark, scrub the table well and let it dry out, then add new substrate. I like to use cypress mulch or fine-grade fir bark, but quite a few on here use re-hydrated coco coir mixed with something...either dirt or bark.

...and Welcome to the Forum!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are most likely phorid flies. They are harmless detrivores. They come from the environment in and around your house, and they thrive in our warm humid enclosures. I just ignore them. Many keepers replace, bake or boil their substrate to keep the numbers down.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
I found using orchid bark wAs better but ive noticed when I put mushrooms or spring greens down there are tiny weeny crawlers when I take the food away?! They don't bother Alan but like you, thinking is this normal. However, I remind myself that if he wasn't in captivity he'd have more than crawlers on him :)

Status
Not open for further replies.