Food help! Plz

Status
Not open for further replies.

mary t

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lakeland, florida
I have noticed on a lot of threads the wonderful variety of different leafy foods everyone is feeding their torts. Do you all grow them yourself or buy them. Examples dandelion, mallow etc ( I guess the Wendy stuff). Just curious- always looking for new and better stuff for Willie to eat even though my grass is his favorite..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Some get to grow some of theirs and most I think have to buy, like me. However, if you have the room to grow, that would be the way to go. I do grow rose of Sharon, clover, cactus, and other weeds and grasses, but the lettuces and greens, kale, mustard, etc, I have to buy.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
For many years I scrounged up all sorts of good stuff from all over the place. Everywhere I went I was looking for potential tortoise food. Lately though, I have been growing all of my own stuff. All my old sources are wondering where I've gone. I'm still new at the whole "Tortoise Food Farming" thing, but I'm learning and expanding every day. I like everything to be automated, since I don't have a lot of free time, and I've come up with some ideas that are really helping me out. Still need to find a better way to harvest. I've got a bunch of 4x8' covered pasture mix plots and I have to harvest it with scissors and a bucket. I think in need to find some big shears or something...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Mary:

It helps if you're a lazy gardener. You let the weeds grow instead of mowing and Weed-Eating them. Eventually you will have a nice crop of mallow, prickly lettuce, fillaree and sow thistle. Among others.

If you just can't stand letting them grow, then you can buy dark leafy greens. If you only have one or two tortoises, you can buy one head or bunch this time, then when you need to buy again, buy something different. So endive this week, escarole next week, turnip greens the following time and dandelion greens (or chicory) the next time.

I have a small veg garden with only turnip greens left in it (now that its hot, the lettuces have all died). So I'll pick a bucket of turnip greens, then I'll wander over to the mulberry tree and pick a bunch of leaves from there, then a few grape leaves, then whatever weeds I can find left over. I usually always have a bag of Santa Barbara mix in the fridge and I'll use a couple handfuls of that too. I chop this all up, mix it all up, add a few pinches of calcium powder and maybe a grated zucchini and store it in a Tupperware bowl. The large bowl lasts me about three days (for feeding babies).

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
wellington said:
Some get to grow some of theirs and most I think have to buy, like me. However, if you have the room to grow, that would be the way to go. I do grow rose of Sharon, clover, cactus, and other weeds and grasses, but the lettuces and greens, kale, mustard, etc, I have to buy.

Stupid question, where do you get the seeds for the weeds?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I grow the majority of my own food, my best investment was my grape plant about 8 years ago or so, I also grow dandelions, strawberries, artichoke, and various squashes. plus many more to numerous to list.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
dmmj said:
I grow the majority of my own food, my best investment was my grape plant about 8 years ago or so, I also grow dandelions, strawberries, artichoke, and various squashes. plus many more to numerous to list.

Where do you get the seeds for dandelions? I started a small garden this year, am planning to expand when the heat let's up a little more. I take it all your plants are from seeds?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
The yellow flowers turn into those puffy balls (scientific term) and those little black things on the end are the seeds, I don't get many seeds because the flowers are always a favorite.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
dmmj said:
The yellow flowers turn into those puffy balls (scientific term) and those little black things on the end are the seeds, I don't get many seeds because the flowers are always a favorite.

Omg.. I learn something new everyday.. Thanks for using the scientific term, now I understand..lmao! Thank you very much

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In addition to Carolina Pet Supply, try tortoisesupply.com. Tyler has a russian tortoise mix with all sorts of broadleaf weeds in it. I planted it it last week and its all sprouting nicely. He's got a good clover mix too. He has another product called "Salad Style" that is basically finely chopped grass hay. You just sprinkle some onto your weeds or grocery store greens and mix it all up before you feed. Really good for any grass eating tortoise, like your sulcatas, but really good for any tortoise.

You can also try Peaceful Valley Farms. They have all sorts of seeds and pasture mixes too. The pasture mixes are mostly grass, but with a few other goodies mixed in. My sulcatas have been chowing down lately. :)

The best place I have found to get dandelion seeds, is on top of a dandelion plant. I collect those aptly named "puffy balls" everywhere and sprinkle the seeds all over my whole yard. Since I am growing them myself from seed, I don't have to worry about chemicals and stuff. Really I collect all sorts of seed this way. We have a variety of plantain weed here that I collect from all the time. Recently I pilfered a whole bunch of seed heads from a giant field where the were growing "orchard grass". Can't wait to try those out...

jason g.

5 Year Member
dmmj said:

That's the cheapest way to go for dandelions. Lol I love scientific terms like that!!! They are all I know. ;) this works too. I used them. If rose would let them grow I would take a picture to show you.

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Tom said:
In addition to Carolina Pet Supply, try tortoisesupply.com. Tyler has a russian tortoise mix with all sorts of broadleaf weeds in it. I planted it it last week and its all sprouting nicely. He's got a good clover mix too. He has another product called "Salad Style" that is basically finely chopped grass hay. You just sprinkle some onto your weeds or grocery store greens and mix it all up before you feed. Really good for any grass eating tortoise, like your sulcatas, but really good for any tortoise.

You can also try Peaceful Valley Farms. They have all sorts of seeds and pasture mixes too. The pasture mixes are mostly grass, but with a few other goodies mixed in. My sulcatas have been chowing down lately. :)

The best place I have found to get dandelion seeds, is on top of a dandelion plant. I collect those aptly named "puffy balls" everywhere and sprinkle the seeds all over my whole yard. Since I am growing them myself from seed, I don't have to worry about chemicals and stuff. Really I collect all sorts of seed this way. We have a variety of plantain weed here that I collect from all the time. Recently I pilfered a whole bunch of seed heads from a giant field where the were growing "orchard grass". Can't wait to try those out...

Once again, thank you Tom. I will order a few then start looking around to " harvest" my own seeds. My family and friends already think I'm crazy buying all these organic veggies to feed Willie. Somedays I spend more time on his food then dinner for my family...lol.. I can't wait to pull the car over with my mini zip lock bags and start collecting, puffy balls... I foresee my children hiding under the car seats.... Can't wait...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hahahaa... I have zip lock baggies for seeds, and plastic grocery bags and empty spring mix containers for weeds and stuff in all of my vehicles..... :D

My daughter is still young enough to not be embarrassed by it. Its all she's ever known and she actually still loves to help. I fear one day she will realize that her Daddy is a tortoise weirdo...

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
mary t said:
I have noticed on a lot of threads the wonderful variety of different leafy foods everyone is feeding their torts. Do you all grow them yourself or buy them. Examples dandelion, mallow etc ( I guess the Wendy stuff). Just curious- always looking for new and better stuff for Willie to eat even though my grass is his favorite..

I feed my Russian romain lettuce but he loves to graze too! And I'm going to do that with my new Sulcata!

mary t

5 Year Member
Lakeland, florida
Tom said:
Hahahaa... I have zip lock baggies for seeds, and plastic grocery bags and empty spring mix containers for weeds and stuff in all of my vehicles..... :D

My daughter is still young enough to not be embarrassed by it. Its all she's ever known and she actually still loves to help. I fear one day she will realize that her Daddy is a tortoise weirdo...

Oh Tom- I have 14 yrs old twin boys and just having to be in the same area as their mom ( in public) is so uncool! And weirdo is not even touching the surface. I think Willie is filling in my empty nest issues.. Lol.. But I like how you think And will defiantly be putting better supplies in my car for gathering...

Status
Not open for further replies.