Food Questions

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
So I am sure someone has asked this question before, but as I look further into it, I am having trouble locating them.

My question here is if I buy a plant from say Home Depot or Lowes, is it safe to feed to my tortoise.

I assume it is not, so my question is how or when is it safe, assuming its planted organicaly after.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!!

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
This partly depends on what you buy.
Any kind of plant meant for planting in a flower bed is most likely going to be treated with a systemic pesticide. This means that the plant absorbs the pesticide into its system and can continue to be active for long periods of time. If your brave, you may risk feeding some to a tort in 6 months but I would recommend waiting a year.
Because of the pesticides any annuals that are purchased are unlikely to be suitable for eating before they die. So for annuals I recommend just starting your own from untreated seeds.
Now if you purchase a plant that is intended for human consumption, such as a squash or some kind of herb such as cilantro then they will probably be safe within a couple of weeks and a few heavy waterings.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
So I am sure someone has asked this question before, but as I look further into it, I am having trouble locating them.

My question here is if I buy a plant from say Home Depot or Lowes, is it safe to feed to my tortoise.

I assume it is not, so my question is how or when is it safe, assuming its planted organicaly after.

Anything else I should know? Thanks!!
We have two members here that work at commercial nurseries. These are the type of nursery that supplies HD and other large outlets. They recommend waiting at least one year to feed from store bought ornamental plants and only feeding new growth that occurs after that year.

Best to grow your own from seed or from cuttings from mature plants that have been established well over a year at friends and families houses. I agree with Bam Bam that if the plant is marketed as safe for human consumption, it should be safe for your tortoise.