Food

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
As much as it can eat, and more. If it has a little bit left at the end of the day, give it slightly less, and if it eats all of it, give it more :)

SmithyBlade

Portsmouth
No problem :)

I’ve had him for around 5 months now and have just never been 100% sure on how much food to give him. Oh and just a question about water Hamilton never seems to go into his water but we do bath him in Luke warm water twice a weak! Any ideas why he doesn’t go into the water?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I’ve had him for around 5 months now and have just never been 100% sure on how much food to give him. Oh and just a question about water Hamilton never seems to go into his water but we do bath him in Luke warm water twice a weak! Any ideas why he doesn’t go into the water?

Some torts are just like that :)
Even if it seems like he doesn’t use it, don’t take it out.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Russians are very an extremely dry (all year long) climate. Russians may not drink much, at least not adults. Mine has never taken a drink other than coming out of hibernation. She’s outside and our climate is fairly humid so I imagine she doesn’t feel the need. It might be different with an inside tortoise or if your climate is very dry

I soak her once a week anyway; it gives me a chance to check her over and weigh her.

Your tortoise is still young, I think? The Russian caresheet for young Russians suggests still soaking every other day (you’ll have to read pretty far down to find the section on soaking). https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/b...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/.