Tomatoes?

hollyandT

Location (City and/or State)
Hull
Does anyone with a Russian/horse field tort know if they’re allowed tomatoes ??

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Yes, but it shouldn’t be a staple of the diet. It’s my understanding that tomatoes are more of a “treat”. Try to mainly feed broadleaf weeds/greens.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Tomatoes are actually a fruit (not a vegetable) and quite high in sugar. Horsefields digestive systems just aren’t built for sugar.

I don’t feed them at all; my tortoise gets enough more than enough sugar from the flowers she finds in the garden.

hollyandT

Hull
Ok that’s fab thank you, it was mainly due to my mother taking care of T for a few days (I told her what to give T food wise). She gave him a small tomato and told me after he ate it, so I had a minor panic as I’ve never looked into what food I cannot feed T as I’m usually in control of his diet.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
One tomato won’t kill him. :)

I don’t like to change topics in another person’s thread but is your tortoise on fake grass? That’swhat it looks like in your avatar. That’s not a good substrate for a tortoise; she needs something to dig in.

hollyandT

Hull
One tomato won’t kill him. :)

I don’t like to change topics in another person’s thread but is your tortoise on fake grass? That’swhat it looks like in your avatar. That’s not a good substrate for a tortoise; she needs something to dig in.

Yes it is fake grass but I do have a separate part that has a good amount of coco and coir that he is able to dig into it’s easier and cheaper that way I’m not using as much coco and coir for the whole enclosure ! It’s also easier for me to clean out :)

hollyandT

Hull
One more voice of agreement.

Tomatoes are not "toxic", but they really are not a good tortoise food either.

Yes I won’t be feeding him anymore tomatoes I’m just glad that it won’t do him no harm