food

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportychick

5 Year Member
So today my tort is sleepy.. I had he out and walking for over an hour he's peed and pooped today but when it comes to eating just little nibbles. Can this be due to how much and how late his last food was yesterday?

This is him today he looks good to me just not big eater today :(

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj569/sportychick27/IMG_20120522_141123.jpg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj569/sportychick27/IMG_20120522_141137.jpg

http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj569/sportychick27/IMG_20120522_141252.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
They all definitely have appetite shifts. Sometimes my groups will go through periods where they just eat all day and I can't hardly keep enough food in there. Other times they leave leftovers even with just a normal amount of food. Sometimes I can see factors and patterns in it, but other times they just seem to be super hungry, or not...

Double check your temps, give him a soak, and you are probably okay.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Rather than worry about changes on a daily basis, you need to stand back a little and watch what happens over a couple of weeks. You'll get used to the ebb and flow of appetite and other bodily functions and get used to what's normal for your tortoise.

A few days off food, or a day or two without a poop are really nothing to worry about. If it lasts for more than a few days and is accompanied by serious weight loss or behaviour change then it's time to consider worrying...

I have no idea what the weather is like where you are, but they do detect the passing of the seasons. A couple of degrees change outside can mean a big change in temperature inside... so double check the temperatures and make sure he's not getting too hot.

You seem to be doing everything right, so try to enjoy more and worry less :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Ditto and Ditto :D

He is looking wide eyed and alert.....keep up the good work and get him walking outside as often as possible that will help in getting his nails worn down as well....:D

sportychick

5 Year Member
I checked his temps and on the stones for basking its 95° down below is 84° and on other end where water and food is 79° I think they are o
He is burrowed in the corner where it is 84 right.now. not even in his hide for the first time for night..
Ascott: yes he was walking towards the camera so I was having trouble getting a shot in where he wasn't to close lol :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
sportychick said:
Ascott: yes he was walking towards the camera so I was having trouble getting a shot in where he wasn't to close lol :D

This last sentence gave me another idea. If he is an adult, he is very likely crazed with hormones right now and looking for a female to assault. The fact that he is up and roaming around and trying to engage you and the camera, is a pretty good indicator that he is okay. Right now is the time of year whether wake up from hibernation and their bodies tell them to go find a mate and reproduce. Often appetite wanes when males are looking for love. Same thing in some male dogs...

sportychick

5 Year Member
Tom said:
sportychick said:

This last sentence gave me another idea. If he is an adult, he is very likely crazed with hormones right now and looking for a female to assault. The fact that he is up and roaming around and trying to engage you and the camera, is a pretty good indicator that he is okay. Right now is the time of year whether wake up from hibernation and their bodies tell them to go find a mate and reproduce. Often appetite wanes when males are looking for love. Same thing in some male dogs...

Well I'll know what to look for as he grows :D . As for right now tom we have guessed his age to be 1-2 yrs :) very tiny tort lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.