For sale?

Thomas tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I am looking for some Hingeback tortoises for sale... I was thinking of breeding sulcatas but I just don't have the money so I am looking into the smaller species and I just right away I fell in love with Hingeback tortoises so I am looking to give one a home if any of you are trying to re-home one or sell one or two.😁

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
That is$500 per which is the same as the baby price but ready to breed in about two years. That is actually a very good price.
Out of curiosity, what should one expect to budget for starting a breeding program? Any wisdom @Tom ?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Make sure you do your research. I heard that the hinge-backs are tough to care for.

Chariya

Ca.
Thomas tortoise, I don't understand this budget deal you're on. Animals cost money. I have 2 Miniature Dachshunds and 1 blew it's back out I spent almost $800 yesterday at the Vet to get Xrays, Blood work for medication and the cost of medication for her. When I got my Russian Tortoises I did a lot of research, cost of healthy tortoises from a reputable breeder, enclosures, heat, UV tubes, food, furniture and so forth, I didn't cheap out. I suggest you save money for a long while before you take the leap into breeding or even buying tortoises. Your tortoises are going to suffer for it and will cost you even more in the end.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thomas tortoise, I don't understand this budget deal you're on. Animals cost money. I have 2 Miniature Dachshunds and 1 blew it's back out I spent almost $800 yesterday at the Vet to get Xrays, Blood work for medication and the cost of medication for her. When I got my Russian Tortoises I did a lot of research, cost of healthy tortoises from a reputable breeder, enclosures, heat, UV tubes, food, furniture and so forth, I didn't cheap out. I suggest you save money for a long while before you take the leap into breeding or even buying tortoises. Your tortoises are going to suffer for it and will cost you even more in the end.
He's said in other posts that he's 15 years old. He's still learning how this all works. Patience please. He's receiving council, but he's got a lot of youthful exuberance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am looking for some Hingeback tortoises for sale... I was thinking of breeding sulcatas but I just don't have the money so I am looking into the smaller species and I just right away I fell in love with Hingeback tortoises so I am looking to give one a home if any of you are trying to re-home one or sell one or two.😁
Hingebacks are not something for beginners or people on a tight budget. Most people have trouble even keeping them alive. I recently met Jeremy from the kinixys cooperative. He is an awesome dude, and he and his group are learning and perfecting the art of helping hingebacks thrive. Personally, that is not the kind of challenge that interests me. I like tortoises that are hardy, easy to keep and feed, and can live outside as adults. Hingebacks are cool tortoises, but they aren't at the top of any of the lists that I just mentioned.

If you are up for this kind of challenge, raise an easier species or two and get some breeding done with those before moving on to more advanced species.

You aren't going to be able to invest the money, or utilize the space and resources needed for breeding any species of tortoise while you are a kid living at home. Get a tortoise species that you like and is fairly easy to care for and learn all you can about them for a few years. Once you own your own home with a large yard or a ranch style property, and have the discretionary funds to do it right, then go crazy. Get into all the species you want, and do your best with them.

Thomas tortoise

Arkansas
Hingebacks are not something for beginners or people on a tight budget. Most people have trouble even keeping them alive. I recently met Jeremy from the kinixys cooperative. He is an awesome dude, and he and his group are learning and perfecting the art of helping hingebacks thrive. Personally, that is not the kind of challenge that interests me. I like tortoises that are hardy, easy to keep and feed, and can live outside as adults. Hingebacks are cool tortoises, but they aren't at the top of any of the lists that I just mentioned.

If you are up for this kind of challenge, raise an easier species or two and get some breeding done with those before moving on to more advanced species.

You aren't going to be able to invest the money, or utilize the space and resources needed for breeding any species of tortoise while you are a kid living at home. Get a tortoise species that you like and is fairly easy to care for and learn all you can about them for a few years. Once you own your own home with a large yard or a ranch style property, and have the discretionary funds to do it right, then go crazy. Get into all the species you want, and do your best with them.
Okay! Thank you.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
He's said in other posts that he's 15 years old. He's still learning how this all works. Patience please. He's receiving council, but he's got a lot of youthful exuberance.
Thank you for clarifying that @Tom was also thinking the same as others. It says he is 22 but it makes more sense that he is 15.