Forest Mulch

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuri2012

5 Year Member
Hi Guys.

So I'm using a mix of Eco-Earth Loose Coconut Fiber Substrate and Calcium-fused Sand from Zoo Med for the soil and ground in my terrarium.

The RT has loved it so far and then I read and heard that "Forest Floor Bedding" aka "cypress mulch" is better because it holds moisture. Now the humidity goes from 35% to 45% based on the day in his tank with no artificial humidity tools or anything special.

Would you recommend using the cypress mulch on top of my current substrate or should I just stick with what I have now? I'm concerned that the wood chips/sticks might hurt him and it might get in his food.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I believe the coconut coir is the best one for holding humidity/moisture. The others are good but I don't think as good. Plus the coir won't mold.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you're happy with what you're using, then I wouldn't change it. You will hear many different ideas on tortoise-keeping. Unless it is harmful, you need to pick and choose what suits you and your tortoise. For instance, I've seen radiographs of baby tortoises with sand impaction, so I would never advise using sand. However, some people use it and it causes no harm. So its strictly up to you.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Sheldon's behaved exactly the same on 50/50 coir/cypress and on 100% coir. He really doesn't seem to care. I think either way is fine.
He did hate 100% cypress tho, he never buried as much and he didn't seem as comfortable.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Both cypress mulch and coco coir can hold moisture, but IMO coco coir is better because it allows tortoise to dig in it (like sand or soil), and it also tends to be cleaner (no fungi or insects in it). I only use coco coir, myself.

Real sand and Calci-Sand are generally discouraged, because they can both cause gut impaction (especially in dehydrated reptiles). Also, Calci-Sand is hygrophilic, meaning that it tends to suck moisture out of the environment into itself, which can reduce the moisture available for your tortoise. Also, Calci-Sand dust can irritate the eyes.

I recommend using 100% coco coir, but if you want to mix it with cypress mulch, that's okay, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.