Fostered tortoise shell does not look healthy any advice please

Cathy Norbury

Hi have tried to cover every angle of the tortoise. I am told she is 5 year old horsfield that when younger had been attacked by a cat, which caused a lot of shell damage leading to subsequent shell deforming in shape. I am taking her to the vets on Tuesday, and am and will continue to quarantine for 6 months.
I have been lots of research since I picked her up yesterday, from what I have read and seen this tortoise appears to have severe pyramiding due to previous poor diet and husbandry. I have only been putting a mixture of weeds in her enclosure which she has yet to take notice off, but early days and know she may need time to settle. I would say she is a lot older than five years, her shell is more round than enlongated so hard to get an exact age by her shell. I bathed her yesterday, and today, her urates are gritty should I up this to twice a day until urates become more paste like. i have not discussed the concerns with the lady whom I have fostered from as she appeared to have very different ideas on tortoise care, and feeding tomatoes, strawberries, dried Guinea pig treat mix of hay dandelions and not sure what else and lettuce. I would like to ensure that the care I provide will hopefully cease the pyramiding and become less noticeable which I have read in detail of how to do. Any advice offered would be greatly appreciated thank you xxx

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Very unusual growth - not the typical injury deformities (although *maybe* the attack caused those back scutes to fuse...). I would assume MBD is responsible for much of the unusual carapace appearance (although the plastron and back legs look good). Do you know what the housing situation was previously like? Was there an outdoor enclosure or entirely indoors? Was the previous owner familiar with uvb requirements?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Cathy and thank you for taking in this poor neglected little tort. There are good care sheets for Russians here
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/
- one for babies and one for adults, as well as lots of other information on Russians.
They will tell you what diet, temps, humidity and substrate are best for her. They need quite a lot of space.
Where are you located? She will need a good source of uvb which will help her digest food and absorb the calcium and other nutrients. I use a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) which give heat light and uvb in one bulb, but others use tube fixtures.
Anyway read the caresheets and ask as many questions as you need, there are many Russian keepers here who can give you the benefit of their experience.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's so easy to see where this lady's care began. The diet she started feeding caused accelerated growth and makes it look like pyramiding, but it's really not. What you see up top is what the tortoise looked like prior to it's new, over-enriched diet.

You may have to include some of the old foods in order to get her started eating your correct diet. If she'll eat cucumber, I've found that pureeing cucumber then mixing it all up until your weeds are coated with it, the tortoise doesn't realize the weeds she's eating isn't cucumber. If she won't eat cucumber, then try tomatoes.

I imagine UVB MIGHT have been part of the problem too.

Cathy Norbury

Very unusual growth - not the typical injury deformities (although *maybe* the attack caused those back scutes to fuse...). I would assume MBD is responsible for much of the unusual carapace appearance (although the plastron and back legs look good). Do you know what the housing situation was previously like? Was there an outdoor enclosure or entirely indoors? Was the previous owner familiar with uvb requirements?
Hi Sarah thank you for your reply much appreciated. Sorry I have no history on her, I am informed that she was found in a park wandering around and the person who found her, handed her in to a tortoise rescue. She had been at the tortoise rescue for four weeks prior to me picking her up yesterday. I can assure you that she has now has a combi bulb the Acadia 125 watt heat and UVB, I have to only personal choice but don't really like these bulbs and have message jo dunnage at mega Ray to order a bulb from her tomorrow when mega Ray reopens. She is on top soil substrate, and her daily feed has been sow thistle, campanula, pansy, mallow and plantain which I have offered yesterday and today but as mentioned she has not eaten. Would appreciate your advice on the bathing and should I increase to twice daily until urates are less gritty. She has cuttlefish, limestone powder, and lump chalk in her enclosure and I sprinkled reptoboost on her food yesterday and will do again in the week kind regards Cathy xxx

Cathy Norbury

Hi Lynn, I am located in Crewe, thank you very much for your reply and links to the care sheets much appreciated. I am sure I may be posting more frequently in relation to this little girl, and the valuable information gained I am sure I will hopefully be able to help others in the future whom may be in similar circumstances. Kind regards Cathy xxx

Cathy Norbury

It's so easy to see where this lady's care began. The diet she started feeding caused accelerated growth and makes it look like pyramiding, but it's really not. What you see up top is what the tortoise looked like prior to it's new, over-enriched diet.

You may have to include some of the old foods in order to get her started eating your correct diet. If she'll eat cucumber, I've found that pureeing cucumber then mixing it all up until your weeds are coated with it, the tortoise doesn't realize the weeds she's eating isn't cucumber. If she won't eat cucumber, then try tomatoes.

I imagine UVB MIGHT have been part of the problem too.
Hi Yvonne, many thanks for your reply much appreciated will definitely try your tip on getting this little girl to eat with the use of purée cucumber. I will do weekly weights at present to monitor her response to changing of diet. What you have said about the new growth makes sense as there does seem to be a ringing effect around the top of the shell. Thank you again kind regards Cathy xxx

Cathy Norbury

Hi Cathy and thank you for taking in this poor neglected little tort. There are good care sheets for Russians here
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/russian-tortoises.81/
- one for babies and one for adults, as well as lots of other information on Russians.
They will tell you what diet, temps, humidity and substrate are best for her. They need quite a lot of space.
Where are you located? She will need a good source of uvb which will help her digest food and absorb the calcium and other nutrients. I use a mercury vapour bulb (MVB) which give heat light and uvb in one bulb, but others use tube fixtures.
Anyway read the caresheets and ask as many questions as you need, there are many Russian keepers here who can give you the benefit of their experience.
Hi Lynn, I am located in Crewe. Thank you very much for your reply and links to the care sheets much appreciated. I am sure I may be posting more frequently in relation to this little girl, and the valuable information gained I am sure I will hopefully be able to help others in the future whom may be in similar circumstances . Kind regards Cathy xxxx

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Lynn, I am located in Crewe. Thank you very much for your reply and links to the care sheets much appreciated. I am sure I may be posting more frequently in relation to this little girl, and the valuable information gained I am sure I will hopefully be able to help others in the future whom may be in similar circumstances . Kind regards Cathy xxxx
Hi Cathy forgot to mention don't use any coiled or loop type bulbs for him as although they are still frequently sold in pet shops for torts, they damage their eyes. Avoid any coloured lights too (red confuses them)
Also depending on your night temps, and what temps are recommended for him on the caresheet, you may need a heat source at night too. If so I use ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat which switches on and off as needed. The CHE just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep. I bought both from The Range for about £55.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Hi Sarah thank you for your reply much appreciated. Sorry I have no history on her, I am informed that she was found in a park wandering around and the person who found her, handed her in to a tortoise rescue. She had been at the tortoise rescue for four weeks prior to me picking her up yesterday. I can assure you that she has now has a combi bulb the Acadia 125 watt heat and UVB, I have to only personal choice but don't really like these bulbs and have message jo dunnage at mega Ray to order a bulb from her tomorrow when mega Ray reopens. She is on top soil substrate, and her daily feed has been sow thistle, campanula, pansy, mallow and plantain which I have offered yesterday and today but as mentioned she has not eaten. Would appreciate your advice on the bathing and should I increase to twice daily until urates are less gritty. She has cuttlefish, limestone powder, and lump chalk in her enclosure and I sprinkled reptoboost on her food yesterday and will do again in the week kind regards Cathy xxx

It sounds like you're doing everything right. How long are you bathing her? Twice a day for awhile won't hurt anything, but once a day for 30-40 minutes should be sufficient. Spraying the greens down with water too will help improve her hydration situation. She may be too stressed to eat right away. What are your temperatures? If she isn't getting warm enough she will also be off food.

Cathy Norbury

It sounds like you're doing everything right. How long are you bathing her? Twice a day for awhile won't hurt anything, but once a day for 30-40 minutes should be sufficient. Spraying the greens down with water too will help improve her hydration situation. She may be too stressed to eat right away. What are your temperatures? If she isn't getting warm enough she will also be off food.
The temps have been a nightmare hate this Acadia combi bulb it is 125 wAtt solar glow, managed to get the temp but only 9 inches from top of shell instead of recommended twelve inches. It is with a reflector, have been utilising a household bulb as well whilst soil is drying out. It is very temperamental as well, this am wouldn't switch on, had to fiddle with twisting it in the socket.cant wait for my mega Ray to come. She has been in the bath, for 20 mins which she really enjoys goes to sleep so will extend to forty thanks again for the advice xx

Cathy Norbury

Hi Cathy forgot to mention don't use any coiled or loop type bulbs for him as although they are still frequently sold in pet shops for torts, they damage their eyes. Avoid any coloured lights too (red confuses them)
Also depending on your night temps, and what temps are recommended for him on the caresheet, you may need a heat source at night too. If so I use ceramic heat emitter (CHE) on a thermostat which switches on and off as needed. The CHE just gives heat as torts need darkness to sleep. I bought both from The Range for about £55.
Thanks again Lynn advice much appreciated xxx