Does my tortoise look like it is pyramiding

Katie Poole

5 Year Member
My 10 month old Russian tortoise (F) has seemed healthy and I had never noticed it before, but her shell isn't completely smooth like I thought they were supposed to be, and I am worried she could be pyramiding. I looked online and apparently pyramiding is caused by lack of vitamin D and lack of calcium both of which I am positive she is getting sufficient amounts of. She is exposed to 12 hours of UV a day(for vitamin D) and I give her calcium powder on her weeds and veggies 2-3 times a week, as well as this she also has access to cuttlebone which she has never touched but I leave it in her Terrarium anyway. I am really worried please let me know what you think :(IMG_9985.jpgIMG_9986.jpgIMG_9987.jpgIMG_9988.jpgIMG_9989.jpgIMG_9991.jpg

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Pyramiding is caused by too dry of an environment. You have been given outdated information. Numerous people here, me included have raised smooth tortoises by increasing the humidity in our enclosures. Switch your substrate to coco coir or Orchid bark, and keep it moist. Your tortoise will thank you.

Katie Poole

5 Year Member
Pyramiding is caused by too dry of an environment. You have been given outdated information. Numerous people here, me included have raised smooth tortoises by increasing the humidity in our enclosures. Switch your substrate to coco coir or Orchid bark, and keep it moist. Your tortoise will thank you.
Thank you, I am really worried and will do this right away, I have also read that a mixture of topsoil and playsand is good, which is better, coco coir/ Orchid bark or a top soil sand mix?

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Sand can cause impactation if digested and does not hold moisture. I like coco coir the best.