Foul Odor?

Crush da Baum

Location (City and/or State)
Brooksville
I recently introduced my two Russian to a nice outdoor enclosure about a month ago. They have been doing fine and are very active but they have this very weird smell. It’s not like a poop smell or really anything I have experienced. It’s very hard to explain. It is strongest near their head and front legs. Has anyone every experienced this or know why this is happening? It is they same for both torts which confuses me.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They have probably eaten some sort of dead body ( or poop).

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
have you soaked them? maybe there is an old piece of food stuck in their shell or some poop. probably also a good idea to give them both a once over for wounds

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
A little while ago I had redfoot that smelled really bad in a similar area. I’m pretty sure it was because of some type of skin fungus that developed. The smell was almost like musty death smell. Maybe they are too wet or have some mold/fungus growing in their environment.

Also you mentioned you are housing a pair... are they together?
Bc it’s recommended here for 2 torts to be separate.

Reactions: Ink

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
A little while ago I had redfoot that smelled really bad in a similar area. I’m pretty sure it was because of some type of skin fungus that developed. The smell was almost like musty death smell. Maybe they are too wet or have some mold/fungus growing in their environment.

Also you mentioned you are housing a pair... are they together?
Bc it’s recommended here for 2 torts to be separate.
No, separated. I found out what was going on, they have soaked mazuri caked on their faces and it starts to smell. Has anyone had this happen?