Possible parasites?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
My russians have been having very wet poops, that sometimes stink pretty bad too.. for a while now. They haven't had a change in diet, and their diet is good, too. It's pretty much mainly weeds, then occasionally flowers, collards, romaine.

When they poop, the poop can be very drippy and not hold its shape, and also smell. The best description of the smell at its worst is like a pond I guess. Then, other times, it is firm and smells almost "good" like horse poop.

I also want to note that- if there is any left in the enclosure, or any that I've thrown out, when they dry, they smell fine. When dried, they also are very fibrous. It is weird. They are just really wet and stinky when pooped out, but when they get dried by the sun and all the excess wetness is gone, they become fibrous. I have dissected the poops when dried and they hold their shape, being very fibrous after all the water in the poop is gone.

They do not have worms, they all have been treated for that a while ago. So, what do you all think is possible? I would like to note that when they were on panacur a while ago for worms, their poops were always firm. The females eat very well and are not picky, but the male only eats two select weeds, this broadleaf grass in the enclosure, occasionally collards, romaine, and any flower. Maybe that is useful information.

Any help or questions appreciated, if it is parasites that will be an annoyance, and if it isn't parasites what could be? Thanks

Crush da Baum

Brooksville
Weird. I usually think that is because of diet change, lack of fiber, or parasites. Is this recent? Maybe they just ate something different that was growing in their enclosure. This might upset their stomach. I'm sorry I couldn't help much, but good luck!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Weird. I usually think that is because of diet change, lack of fiber, or parasites. Is this recent? Maybe they just ate something different that was growing in their enclosure. This might upset their stomach. I'm sorry I couldn't help much, but good luck!
Thanks, I don't think it's something growing in their enclosure because they have had the same stuff and same weeds for a while, anything new that I didn't identify was ripped out. Also, it has been on and off, I have just noticed it more recently as I have more time to watch/inspect/see them because of quarantine. I'm thinking it may be some parasite other than worms? I really don't know, it is weird.