Found a cute baby Turtle!

Bambam1989

Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
that is a baby Mississippi Mud turtle. Kinosternon subrubrum hippocrepis.

They are definitely a very aquatic turtle and hopefully will find a body of water.
I feel bad that these guys have lost their habitat because of us moving back. My husband has suggested we put a small pond in to try and replace what they lost. Do you think that they may benefit from us building a small pond? Or just hope they find another place?

jeneliza

burton michigan
Mud/ musk turtle, missippi , you can buy them here as pet Turtles, and I have this problem with a drain pipe by my yard, I have a broken driveway and it always has a large mud puddle in it, I am always netting frogs out of the puddle, the close draining pool is about two miles away, and the frogs swim up the pipe when it's full and end up by my house, and this is the closest water they find, the drain pool is missing the wire net from the pool to stop this, I called my twp. Office and they are going to fix it, it gets old trapping and taking frogs to the closest natural water, but they will die if I don't, maybe the city or two office can look in two how there ending up in your yard,

Bambam1989

East Texas
Mud/ musk turtle, missippi , you can buy them here as pet Turtles, and I have this problem with a drain pipe by my yard, I have a broken driveway and it always has a large mud puddle in it, I am always netting frogs out of the puddle, the close draining pool is about two miles away, and the frogs swim up the pipe when it's full and end up by my house, and this is the closest water they find, the drain pool is missing the wire net from the pool to stop this, I called my twp. Office and they are going to fix it, it gets old trapping and taking frogs to the closest natural water, but they will die if I don't, maybe the city or two office can look in two how there ending up in your yard,
That would be great but unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in anyone coming out and doing anything like that in my area? perhaps if they were a threatened or endangered species but from what I've read they are considered common

jeneliza

burton michigan
That would be great but unfortunately I don't have a lot of faith in anyone coming out and doing anything like that in my area? perhaps if they were a threatened or endangered species but from what I've read they are considered common
Well maybe, if you put a wire mesh over your end, they wouldn't be able to get to the dry land, and would turn back around, but you would want it to be removable so you could get any leaves or, trash that gets washed though the drain pipe, this might help, they won't lay there eggs, if they can't get to soil,

Bambam1989

East Texas
Well maybe, if you put a wire mesh over your end, they wouldn't be able to get to the dry land, and would turn back around, but you would want it to be removable so you could get any leaves or, trash that gets washed though the drain pipe, this might help, they won't lay there eggs, if they can't get to soil,
I'm not sure they were actually coming up the drainage. It it only a two or three inch opening, I don't know if a full grown mud turtle could shimmy through that.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I'm not sure they were actually coming up the drainage. It it only a two or three inch opening, I don't know if a full grown mud turtle could shimmy through that.
Maybe not, do you have any water near by? They will travel to lay eggs, but I don't think that far honestly, so maybe there's a big, source of water near you, even a swamp?

jeneliza

burton michigan
Maybe not, do you have any water near by? They will travel to lay eggs, but I don't think that far honestly, so maybe there's a big, source of water near you, even a swamp?
Or maybe the babies them self where wash though the pipe, and ended up in your yard, imagine the pipe is big enough for the baby to fit though, and being a mud turtles, they would be in the muddy area of the drainage pool, which I imagine would be near the main drain pipe, so if this is the case, it would only trap them inside the pipe and they would have no chance #so maybe that's a bad idea come to think about it

Bambam1989

East Texas
I honestly don't know if there is any ponds really close by, lots of pine plantations. About a 1/2 mile away it opens up into cattle pastures, with lots of scattered ponds. Do you think that would be to far?

Bambam1989

East Texas
I suggest posting it as a sulcata on a reg post. With NO humidity.

Taking bets: whose head explodes first?
Maggie
Tom
That would be interesting! Yvonne may explode too. Someone new to the forum may get misled though.

jeneliza

burton michigan
I honestly don't know if there is any ponds really close by, lots of pine plantations. About a 1/2 mile away it opens up into cattle pastures, with lots of scattered ponds. Do you think that would be to far?
Yes they can travel that far, but I now am thinking maybe the little ones, can though the pipe, it makes more sense,
Maybe, but I am thinking maybe the little guys came out of the pipe when it was filled with water, maybe a pond at the drain wouldn't be a bad idea, it would catch anything living there, but I don't know how they would have gotten there, it seems like a long way for a water breed of turtle to go to lay eggs, maybe a bird, but even that seems unlikely, given the size, of a full grown turtle, it makes more sense for the babies to have been push through the drain pipe honestly,

Bambam1989

East Texas
He redeemed himself when he saw the second round of pics! And that is the only time I've ever seen him be wrong on any subject ever.
I don't fault him for it at all! Gosh, the number of times I have seen him identify a tort or turtle with only a halfa## picture are more than I can count. I bet he is laughing right along with everyone, being a good sport ?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Yes they can travel that far, but I now am thinking maybe the little ones, can though the pipe, it makes more sense,
Maybe, but I am thinking maybe the little guys came out of the pipe when it was filled with water, maybe a pond at the drain wouldn't be a bad idea, it would catch anything living there, but I don't know how they would have gotten there, it seems like a long way for a water breed of turtle to go to lay eggs, maybe a bird, but even that seems unlikely, given the size, of a full grown turtle, it makes more sense for the babies to have been push through the drain pipe honestly,
Hmm never made an in ground pond before. Only patio ponds and fish tanks... Anybody got some advice or links to some good reading material?

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have a Mississippi mud turtle in an aquarium in my house.
To me, you have a few options.
My first choice would be to find a pond to move them to.
You could certainly build a pond outside for them, which could be fun, but then you have to decide how much maintenance you're willing/able to do.
Thirdly, depending on the Texas laws, you could keep it in an aquarium inside. But since you've found more than one, chances are this may be a regular occurrence...
Regardless, he a cutie!!! :<3:

Bambam1989

East Texas
I kept the little fella overnight to make sure he hadn't been adversely affect by the mites that were on him. It rained quite a bit yesterday and I took him to the back of my property where I found a spot where water seemed to be sitting slightly. I figure there are plenty of snails and slugs back there under the leaf litter for food.
I considered keeping him as @Moozillion had suggested but I don't have the proper setup or even a space right now.
I will be putting in a small pond but it will probably not be started for another month. Maybe I will get to see more of these little guys in the future.