Found Red Eared Sliders *Bad Shape*

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Long Island, New York
I found two red eared sliders in my pond which I try and keep turtles out of. They are both in bad shape one doesn't move much and has some shell rot(I think) and the other one is more active but looks like a raccoon attacked it. What do I do? Should I release them or nurse them back to health? I would love to keep them as pets because they are in such bad shape but I think I should do what is best for the turtles.
Turtle 1:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301098.748758.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301108.764362.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301124.498683.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301149.302972.jpg
Turtle 2:
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301197.056202.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301257.412947.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301266.394155.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301296.931378.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1403301305.998308.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
They are not too bad...some old damage but nothing that I think is active (not in the pics anyways)....they are not native to your area there in New York.....and if you have already removed them and taken then home, the deed is done. The second one appears to be male....set em up in appropriate enclosure and enjoy them....

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
If you want to take them in, that is.. I wouldn't want them. If you want to save every RES in New York, or even these ones, you're a better person than me. Dumped RES are a huge problem, but they don't have to be your huge problem.

Such a shame..

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Take them in, even if for a bit while they get better. Find a herp vet and make sure they are healthy and get the injuries, (looks like shell rot) diagnosed and treated. The claws look funny, and I'd trim them up a bit.
Here is a link encompassing most of their needs. www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm
Unfortunately, dumped turtles are very common and many die, as they can't figure out how to survive in the wild.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
Yikes do you think someone DUMPED them there? Because their front claws don't get that long in the wild. :/

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I probably think so. A lot of people but baby turtles because they're small and cute, but new turtle owners don't how much work is involved in keeping just ONE turtle... or how long they live. Some people think turtles are 'throwaway pets' which means that they can either dump them or get rid of them in other ways. :( Sad, but it's a big problem for all kinds of pets. I know I wouldn't be able to to trash my babies!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Take them in, even if for a bit while they get better. Find a herp vet and make sure they are healthy and get the injuries, (looks like shell rot) diagnosed and treated. The claws look funny, and I'd trim them up a bit.
Here is a link encompassing most of their needs. www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-red_ear_slider.htm
Unfortunately, dumped turtles are very common and many die, as they can't figure out how to survive in the wild.

Are you kidding me? Trim the claws because they look funny? You don't trim semi-aquatic turtle claws, ever, period. Please refrain from giving advice that you are not sure of.

Also, consider what "taking them in" could possibly do to the animals that Ben already has, and who knows if the Ben wants to have the funds set aside to pay for the vet bills that may be necessary to maintain an appropriate quality of life for these animals. I love turtles, but I wouldn't spend a dollar to save a Red Eared Slider. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I do remove them from invasive situations and will help to find them homes, but I wouldn't spend a buck, personally.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Red ear sliders make awesome pets . My sliders come right to me . They don't try to hide . They are little food grabbers. You can't walk by them and not laugh .

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California

Actually males can have long front claws....;) If one breaks then you can see what you have in your pic....

I am fully aware that this turtle has been exploited to the point it has been now labelled invasive (which simply means it is a better survivor than the other turtles in the area that they have been cut loose in. Not the fault of the turtle---absolutely the fault of humans (huh, imagine that--what a new concept)....I have two here in my care (they were purchased by a little girls mother when they were shopping downtown Los Angeles in the alleys, 2 for five bucks and in the common torture chamber (clear plastic container--where they are represented as fine in there for their entire life...)...well, they have the biggest personality, acrobats of the water, clowns as well---they also grow large, eat like there is no tomorrow and are very hard on any filter system.....they are a very fierce hunter and a very qualified survivor, even at the expense of some native species....which is why if you found some in a non native space and are interested in housing and enjoying them---then that is awesome....if you can not or do not want to then offer them up for rehoming....I mean, there are those that can outright further slaughter them without a problem or second thought...or without regard to the fact that they are in the situation they are due to their exploitation....not me....but we each have our roles in this life I suppose.

If you want to keep them and house them and care for them...there are alot of references that offer up great info on the basic set ups....from those basic set ups, there is no reason there should be any extra ordinary expenses....hit the basics, don't go over board and they will do fine and will gladly offer up a few water shows in exchange for a yummy treat.....:D

ben32hayt

5 Year Member
Long Island, New York
Thanks everyone for the advice I had them in my fenced 500 gallon pond where there are a lot of good hiding spots. I plan on taking them indoors for the winter and don't plan on trimming their nails.i lowered the water level so they ant escape and put a log in the water so they can bask. There are plenty of critters they can eat in there but I had to empty the water because of a recent potassium permanganate treatment. I was being extra cautious even though they probably would have been fine. I don't mind keeping two red ear sliders as pets but I don't plan on taking in any more.

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
New York, eh? Yeah, those are throw aways. I see them a lot here in San Antonio, too. The Texas ornate slider is native to this area, and they're pretty unmistakable with their wide yellow carpacial bands. However, I've seen more than my fair share of Louisiana farm bred sliders, with their green into adulthood coloration and those narrow yellow bands along the shell. A friend of mine has a pretty good sized cattle tank on his property just outside Boerne, and people are always releasing turtles into it. Using one of those basking traps, we've pulled western painted turtles, Louisiana farm bred red ears, and even a few yellow bellies and florida red bellies, none of which are native to the area, and given that most of them are starving when trapped, most will start eating commercial food immediately upon being set up in a kiddie pool. I mean, I love red ears. They make awesome pets so long as you have the space for an outdoor pond, but because they're cheap, people treat them like total garbage and throw them away when they get too big. It really is a shame, given that not only are they incredibly adaptable as pets, but they're also one of the most gorgeous turtles in the world as far as I'm concerned, even though they do turn mud brown in old age.

T.G.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have a soft spot for RES, they are treated like a throwaway pet, just release it her in CA, when they get to big, seems to be everyone's thoughts. I prob. wouldn't spend money saving them, besides my own of course. But don't consider them trash, taking on the care for them is a big responsibility.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
How come I can not see lots of photos?

turtlelou

5 Year Member

This is an awesome vid....*Children, please do not try the finger in the face of the turtle behavior though*...lol

That turtle was sweet. It seemed to like her attention. Are they usually that calm and nice or was it because it was 12?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
That turtle was sweet. It seemed to like her attention. Are they usually that calm and nice or was it because it was 12?

Really hard to say, each living thing has its own character/personality you know. What I do know is, that if I tried to get the two RES here to do this , I would not have such pretty fingers to waive for very long....lol....