Foxes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottingham, UK
Hey people,

I've just turned out my tortoise outside last week, and I was wondering how big of a problem are foxes towards tortoises? We've got him a shelter that can be locked, and he is currently locked inside during the night as we do occasionally get foxes in the garden.

Cheers,
TM

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Foxes eat turtles (as well as mice, rabbits, birds, etc.) so I would definitely be worried about them around torts!
Heck, I'm worried about them coming around my Chihuahua :p I've seen them around my neighborhood pretty often in the past year. (Maybe we should stop destroying their homes... :( )

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
If I had the ability, then I would not take the chance, I would lock him up. Of course, I would also try to get my yard/enclosure fixed so the fox could not get in. We always think of foxes as nighttime hunters, but they can and will hunt during the day also.

When we bought our second place, we were not told at the time, but there is a fox den under the one shed. Then my children tried raising chickens for 4H. Let's say those fox youngsters grew fat on chicken. :( They never bothered any of the tortoises or turtles. My opinion is turtles and tortoise are a lot of work for little food value. That means they are not the top choice for the fox to go after, BUT a hungry predator will indeed go for turtles and tortoises so always expect it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Foxes are a nuisance where I live. I would not put it past them to mess with a tortoise.

TortoiseMan

5 Year Member
Nottingham, UK
So I'm doing the right thing at the moment!

Even though, this morning my tortoise got attacked by a magpie, should i put netting over the enclosure to prevent this? He is ok, i've cleaned the small cut on his leg.

Cheers,
TM

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Yes cover the top with chicken wire or something to keep birds out.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
birds can be just as bad...
i just rescued a duck family, took them to an area and released them.. big hawk swooped down.. so i walked mom and babies all the way to 'safety' crossed my fingers and bid farewell.. Nature... its a wonderful thing... ack!

Status
Not open for further replies.