Frank is Sick!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
He is handsome alright! So when I look at the pics what I immediately think of is he is just underweight ....which is a fun thing to fix :D

I have attached a pic here of my old man Humphry....I attach it for comparison as Humphry appears to be similar in size to Frank....when Humphry came into my care he was underweight and his front legs/neck area was thin like Franks....

So, my suggestion would be to get him big piles of dandelions...rose petals and other stuff you have noticed he love and let him eat until he can't eat anymore...then give him a grand ole soak after :D

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
Do you have any Mazuri tortoise food? It will help him put on some weight! I bet that is what it is, he looks skinny, no fat pockets.

Ashmash

5 Year Member
Ok, thank you! I will fatten him up! He loves squash and grape leaves. And grass! So there's nothing sunken in?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Sunken in is not what I see, I see thin, but you did say in the beginning that he survived before you on a poor diet, so I would say underweight...

Sounds good! May I suggest that you perhaps plant some dandelion seeds and some herrons bill if it does not come as part of the tortoise seed you have ordered? these are really good "staples" for these guys....and lots of soaks where his entire body sets in the warm water up to his gular horn...

Frank is so cute :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....just one more observation if you will.

In the photos where you show Franks cool hide :D I noticed there is a pine tree relatively close, I wonder if you rake up the pine needles often?

Conifers (pine trees) drop their needles often, which build up layer upon layer...pines needles can have negative health affects as they carry with them some poisonous attributes. All pine trees produce needles and those needles are poisonous if ingested in large quantities. They contain resins, which can produce toxic reactions in animals. Turpentine and Camphor Oil are derived from the pine.

Now, I did not say that so you go and hurt your tree! Pine trees are awesome! Just thought I would mention in the event you don't already rake up the fallen needles. As when a tortoise graze they can ingest alot of things :)

Ashmash

5 Year Member
I do rake them up, but I didn't know that they were toxic to him. I just raked them because I didn't want him to get poked! Now I have a better reason!

261496_10150230760961194_656966193_7480526_4324712_n.jpg

He here is eating his lunch today.

Status
Not open for further replies.