Free Grazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fremont, California
Hi guys,

I have a 3-month y/o (est) hatchling, and have a quick question about food. I've been growing him food from a Sulcata seed mix, while also mixing in some spring mixed greens and soaked Mazuri. Usually, I leave him (or her, we'll see in the coming years) with a sort of salad mix at the beginning of the day, and it's fairly picked apart and gone when I get home.

My question is as follows: If I directly put the growing plants into his enclosure, will he eat his fill, or will he overfeed? I know other animals (dogs, for example) will eat until an unhealthy amount if you're not controlling their portions. My Keyser loves eating straight from the source though; he's like a little miniature lawnmower. I know he'd be happy having direct access in his enclosure.

Just for fun, here's a picture of him eating his way through one of my planter boxes.

310751_10150544873471102_609266101_11332521_697775710_n.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I stick the tray in and let Joe eat what he wants and come back to it when he wants... although he's so big that he's quite capable of eating an enitire tray in one go.

Leave the tray in. He won't over-eat. It encourages a more natural grazing habit and, unlike fresh food that you've chopped, won't wilt within hours.

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
JoesMum said:
I stick the tray in and let Joe eat what he wants and come back to it when he wants... although he's so big that he's quite capable of eating an enitire tray in one go.

Leave the tray in. He won't over-eat. It encourages a more natural grazing habit and, unlike fresh food that you've chopped, won't wilt within hours.
I do the same thing put a tray in let graze when he wants:)

Texastort

10 Year Member!
coreyc said:
JoesMum said:

I do the same thing put a tray in let graze when he wants:)

Agreed. Never seen a sulcata over eat. Mine free graze all day and are eating machines.

knight_visionn

5 Year Member
Fremont, California
Alright, thanks guys :)

The soil that the grasses are growing out of won't bother him, right? It's just basic potting soil, and I doubt he's going to be spending a lot of non-eating time in it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
As long as the soil isn't loaded with chemicals and fertilisers it's fine... if it were loaded, the plants wouldn't be fine either!

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
What is basic potting soil? Keep in mind that everything revolving around planting animal food needs to be ORGANIC. It doesn't matter if it's $5 or $25...it needs to be organic! He will undoubtedly consume some of the planting material...so make sure it's organic! That having been said...Mazuri is great...cactus is great...but if he's feeding on grass and weeds...then that is the BEST! I love that shot...and they will stop eating when they are ready...no need to intervene. GREAT job!

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Bishop and Hindu graze... I've got three appetizer plates in rotation of seed mix, I grow it at different rates, and as they finish off one plate, I put in a fresh plate, and let the mowed down plate regrow... And so forth. They seem happy.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DeanS said:
What is basic potting soil? Keep in mind that everything revolving around planting animal food needs to be ORGANIC. It doesn't matter if it's $5 or $25...it needs to be organic! He will undoubtedly consume some of the planting material...so make sure it's organic! That having been said...Mazuri is great...cactus is great...but if he's feeding on grass and weeds...then that is the BEST! I love that shot...and they will stop eating when they are ready...no need to intervene. GREAT job!

:cool:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you restrict an animals food it creates a "psychological hunger". When these animals finally do get access to large amounts of food, they often will over eat. Animals that graze freely on their own tend to eat less than animals that are kept hungry all the time. I think "free grazing" is the best way to go for any age sulcata.

phantoms

5 Year Member
Wilmington DE
I was just sitting here wondering the same thing. Since I did just put my tort in the Zoomed house I was thinking about getting a small container and planting seeds in it and just put it in his house for him to grub on when he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.