Free run of the house?

Ozzy1

I people, I have had my tortoise for 6 year's. Was actually I rescue as he was left behind. To him to a reptile shop to get information about him, was told that he is a salcutta, but I think he is a hurman. Problem is he doesn't like being in his tank, he is ok until he sees me, then hit's the side until you let him out. He just loves to walk around the house, follows me around and sits in the sun (when it's out). Am worried that he is not getting enough heat lamp and uv light time.
But if he doesn't see me he will happily just sit there under his lamp. He is very fast (wheel spins lol) and bright eyes etc etc. Is it OK for him to free rome the house?.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum!:tort:

How about posting pictures of your tort and his enclosure so as to enable us to help you.:)

Have you read different threads? These could also help you.;) Good luck!

RayRay

5 Year Member
central texas
Some people do let them free roam. But a lot of others suggest not to because they can eat things that can kill them while roaming the house.

M

Maggie Cummings

Very dangerous on the floor for a tortoise. Take off all your clothes and lay on the bare floor....too cold for a tortoise. They will also eat paper clips, dust bunnies, pennies and anything else they can fit in their mouths. Leaving them to roam the floor is a very bad practice....Don't do it.
One of our members closed her torts' head in the door jamb and killed him.
Just one example

M

Maggie Cummings

edit......
spelled....Sulcata
spelled....Hermanni
Just helping....

how about a picture?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A picture of the tort and the enclosure as mentioned would really help us to help you and your tort. Also your location in the world. Tortoises, need a certain amount of heat and humidity to survive and another temp to be able to digest their food properly. Sitting in the sun, that is shining through glass and screen is not enough UVB as most of it is being blocked.
As Maggie pointed out, very dangerous to let them roam the house.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A 6+ year old sulcata should not fit into any "tank", unless you have some sort of custom room sized tank.

Your tortoise should have a large well designed and safe tortoise enclosure outside for fair weather, and an adequately sized, well designed indoor enclosure for all other times. If you live in a warm climate, your tortoise can live outside full time if you provide it with a well insulated and heated shelter. Like this: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/another-night-box-thread.88966/

At no time should your tortoise be loose in the house. As was mentioned many times, it is just not safe and many tortoises get injured or dead from people allowing this. All of the people whose tortoises got injured or killed said they were careful, watchful and they loved their tortoises.