Freezing Cactus pad

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
If you want to store a pad, let it dry out on the counter and keep in on a shelf somewhere at room temperature. It will keep this way for a long time and only the cut part will dry out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Catus pads will last for months if left out in the open. Keep it out of direct sun, but leave it sitting out, no bag, no box, somewhere with very good ventilation.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
If you lay on its side in a 8 or 10 in pot w/soil in it it will most likely root and start growing
Have a great tort day :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I did freeze cactus pad. It does turn into mush. However, I have also just done it with chopping it very small and then vacuum sealing it and it's not bad.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
I always freeze mine, but I do wrapp them up pretty tight leaving as little "air" as possible in the freezerbag. When I want to give my two torts a little treat I cut of part of the frozen cactus and chop it up while it is still frozen. Then I let it defrost. Works fine for the torts and me.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Grandpa Turtle 144 said:
If you lay on its side in a 8 or 10 in pot w/soil in it it will most likely root and start growing
Have a great tort day :)

This is brilliant Grandpa. It can be "stored" most easily in a pot with some sandy soil! :D

I wish I had thought of that...