Freezing substrate to kill tiny flies

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada ??
I was away for a couple of weeks and came home to find a lot of tiny flies in the tortoise enclosure. If I throw the substrate outside for awhile will that kill the flies. Also for how long should I leave it out for? -15 winter)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes it will. However, it doetdo as good a job as baking it. Any eggs may still survive. I have done the freezing before and switched to baking as it works better and longer, at least a year or more.
But yes, freezing will kill what's alive now.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Yes it will. However, it doetdo as good a job as baking it. Any eggs may still survive. I have done the freezing before and switched to baking as it works better and longer, at least a year or more.
Ok thanks very much
Ok thanks very much!

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Depending on your env and the quantity of insects. Sometimes fly's get in on weeds even when washed so I add a sticky fly catcher to my enc glass which solves this for me. If really bad I would throw the substrate, deep clean and buy new substrate from a good supplier.

tortoisecrca

10 Year Member!
Manitoba Canada ??
Depending on your env and the quantity of insects. Sometimes fly's get in on weeds even when washed so I add a sticky fly catcher to my enc glass which solves this for me. If really bad I would throw the substrate, deep clean and buy new substrate from a good supplier.
Thanks, I ended up tossing out the old substrate