Fried torts

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lynncharlene

I ordered a power sun 100 watt uvb lamp for my babies. After further research I've concluded that I may have made a mistake. The lamp I get will be no more than 14" away from the babies, I read that is a no-no. What should I get that can be in a dome style clamp lamp 6-14 inches from the kids??

ps I don't have the babies or the lamp yet..both on order

Lynn

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
lynncharlene said:
I ordered a power sun 100 watt uvb lamp for my babies. After further research I've concluded that I may have made a mistake. The lamp I get will be no more than 14" away from the babies, I read that is a no-no. What should I get that can be in a dome style clamp lamp 6-14 inches from the kids??

ps I don't have the babies or the lamp yet..both on order

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

I have just ordered a similar lamp for my babies (one born mid oct, the other early Nov); a hobby uv sunlux 160watt. I would be interested to hear what you read about such bulbs as I don't want to harm my little dudes? I am just finishing off making them a tortoise table, and way planning on using a lamp stand, clamp lamp, with the above bulb.

Cheers

Laura

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
If you can't get further away than 14 inches than your going to have to go with a florscent UVB bulb and a regular bulb for the basking spot. You will have to replace the UVB every 6 months though.

Danny

laurangutan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
If you can't get further away than 14 inches than your going to have to go with a florscent UVB bulb and a regular bulb for the basking spot. You will have to replace the UVB every 6 months though.

Danny

Hi Danny,

What is the average inches that such a bulb should be at for the babies to achieve basking spot of correct temp. Is 14 inches the absolute minimum?

Regards

Laura

Status
Not open for further replies.