Friend wants a tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
hey! I’ve got a friend who lives in North Carolina that wants a pet tortoise. He needs a beginner level tortoise that is basically the ball pythons of tortoises (easy to care for, good starter animal). Any suggestions? I’ve recommended the Russian tortoise, but wanted to know if y’all have any other good ideas.

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
In my opinion, Russians are great beginner tortoises. But if you ask around you'll get several different responses.

The real question should be what tortoise will fit best in your friends lifestyle?

Questions such as:
-Will it be housed indoors or outdoors?
-Is he looking for a large, medium, or small tortoise?

Lewisville, Texas
In my opinion, Russians are great beginner tortoises. But if you ask around you'll get several different responses.

The real question should be what tortoise will fit best in your friends lifestyle?

Questions such as:
-Will it be housed indoors or outdoors?
-Is he looking for a large, medium, or small tortoise?
Indoors, small-medium.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Redfoots are pretty good choice. Once established in a largish enclosure with proper light and humidity they will do okay indoors. They have a diet that is better tolerant of the continual "Treat" that everybody seem to have a need to offer. they can be very attractive, and seem pretty willing to be touched. They are one of the few species that show what many of us would think of as cognitive skills. They can learn a maze, exhibit play behavior, and when that inevitable, need for getting them a 'friend' occurs, they are one of the species that seem tolerant of others in the same enclosure.

There are many geographic variants, some stay smallish, to about 10 to 12 inches.

Lewisville, Texas
hey! I’ve got a friend who lives in North Carolina that wants a pet tortoise. He needs a beginner level tortoise that is basically the ball pythons of tortoises (easy to care for, good starter animal). Any suggestions? I’ve recommended the Russian tortoise, but wanted to know if y’all have any other good ideas.
Could y’all give me some trusted online tortoise breeders?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Please keep in mind that a Russian needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet, and there aren’t many tortoises that need less. How much space does your friend have?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Please keep in mind that a Russian needs a minimum enclosure size of 8x4 feet, and there aren’t many tortoises that need less. How much space does your friend have?
There aren't ANY torts that need less. People acquiring torts need to be aware that these animals need space to roam.

And they also need to think long and hard about keeping a creature that is easily capable of outliving them, doesn't travel well and has specific needs.

If you are planning on heading to college, like to go away on vacation, actually want a cuddly pet, or can't see yourself moving out of an apartment in the future then think long and hard about whether a tortoise is the right animal for you.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
There aren't ANY torts that need less. People acquiring torts need to be aware that these animals need space to roam.

And they also need to think long and hard about keeping a creature that is easily capable of outliving them, doesn't travel well and has specific needs.

If you are planning on heading to college, like to go away on vacation, actually want a cuddly pet, or can't see yourself moving out of an apartment in the future then think long and hard about whether a tortoise is the right animal for you.

I was referring to pancakes and maybe Egyptians, but you’re right, they’re aren’t any that are commonly kept or good for beginners that can be kept in any less :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The Russian, hermanns and Greeks are always the best recommended for beginners. I know the Russian, I have one. Great little guys and stay fairly small. Still the minimum enclosure is a 4x8. Any ACTIVE breeder on this forum is recommended.