Frog Moss

ShaySRQ

Location (City and/or State)
SW Florida
Hi everyone. I have 2 Leopard Torts (6mos). In their enclosure I have organic cypress mulch as well as some sphagnum moss. I just made a new enclosure that is enclosed to try to keep humidity up as high as it should be. Someone gave me some Frog Moss and suggested putting some around the water dish. From what I’ve researched, it’s safe, but I haven’t seen anyone suggest it in any of the substrate forum posts. Is there a reason why that I’m missing? I’m a newbie... only had my babies 2 months.
Thanks!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Most of us generally don’t recommend using moss, because most of the time they try to eat it. You can get the same amount of humidity with a closed chamber.

Sadly, your tortoises need to be separated. Leopard tortoises are solitary animals that should never be kept in pairs. In pairs, there is always a dominant and subordinate, and in captivity, neither can ever escape.

Reactions: Tom

ShaySRQ

SW Florida
Most of us generally don’t recommend using moss, because most of the time they try to eat it. You can get the same amount of humidity with a closed chamber.

Sadly, your tortoises need to be separated. Leopard tortoises are solitary animals that should never be kept in pairs. In pairs, there is always a dominant and subordinate, and in captivity, neither can ever escape.

Wow. Thanks. Never been told that before (about leopards not being able to be together). I do feed them separately. I also have a closed chamber now.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas