Fruit flowers.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
In my outdoor enclosure I have strawberries growing. I've notice that my redfoots will not eat the flowers, foliage or strawberries that are not ripe at all. Has anyone else noticed this with any fruit type plants?
Is it one of natures ways of preserving the fruits until they are ready to seed via a Tortoise.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
My ten 50 cent strewberry plants got 100% eaten in 48 hours. Every leaf, stem and some of the roots.
The only thing they won't eat and that I can plant and keep are spider plants.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My ten 50 cent strewberry plants got 100% eaten in 48 hours. Every leaf, stem and some of the roots.
The only thing they won't eat and that I can plant and keep are spider plants.
Really, that's kiboshed that thought.
Weird how none of my 10 adults will eat them and yours demolished them.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
my red foot loves the leaves of the strawberry plant

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'll try and feed them to them by hand and see what happens, they defo don't want to graze on them.
I guess I have a bunch of misfits. :D
One of my torts turns banana down:confused: and 2 of them are scared of worms:eek:.
Picture the classic vision of the elephant on hind legs in fear of the little mouse. Now replace elephant with a 12" redfoot and mouse with 3" earthworm.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
There does seem to be some learned behavior going on.
My bossy female knocks over pots and rips up plants. The other three just watch her and cash in if there ends up being something to eat.
I've never offered earth worms. But it rains here a lot. I'm sure they've met a few.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
There does seem to be some learned behavior going on.
My bossy female knocks over pots and rips up plants. The other three just watch her and cash in if there ends up being something to eat.
I've never offered earth worms. But it rains here a lot. I'm sure they've met a few.
Today it's warmish, humid with heavy showers here. Mine are finding slugs and snails in the long grass. I'm working in the indoor area where it's about 80/82f and 95%. I don't know how you guys cope, I'm lathered.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Today it's warmish, humid with heavy showers here. Mine are finding slugs and snails in the long grass. I'm working in the indoor area where it's about 80/82f and 95%. I don't know how you guys cope, I'm lathered.
I'd keep it comfortably cool until work done

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'd keep it comfortably cool until work done
Too late. Got juveniles in, and I decided after to change a few things I didn't like.
Adults will be in today. Hipeee . Just one more thing to do.
Struggled with plants growing, new I would. Found out broadleaf plantain, sowthistle seem to cope with the high humidity, narrowleaf and dandilions don't.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Too late. Got juveniles in, and I decided after to change a few things I didn't like.
Adults will be in today. Hipeee . Just one more thing to do.
Struggled with plants growing, new I would. Found out broadleaf plantain, sowthistle seem to cope with the high humidity, narrowleaf and dandilions don't.
I see. Weeds will grow EVERYWHERE except shady areas. What do you have for lighting in therr?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
At the moment 10 led light, whit red and blue. 3x15ft worth of light through windows and I need to add 2 uvb lights once I've got them in. Hibiscus and a few other plants keep flowering, everything is young and small. It will take time. Some new shoots from dandilions coming through, clover is finally growing. I'll see how they go.

Pearly

5 Year Member
At the moment 10 led light, whit red and blue. 3x15ft worth of light through windows and I need to add 2 uvb lights once I've got them in. Hibiscus and a few other plants keep flowering, everything is young and small. It will take time. Some new shoots from dandilions coming through, clover is finally growing. I'll see how they go.
My biggest struggle with indoor plants is lighting. You can always use grow lights but for me it's too much hassle. In my terrarium I use shade loving plants. All of the weeds I had transplanted from my garden ended up dying after few wks . Or... Maybe not DYING, the roots are there, probably dormant, but will not grow in this dark place.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
My biggest struggle with indoor plants is lighting. You can always use grow lights but for me it's too much hassle. In my terrarium I use shade loving plants. All of the weeds I had transplanted from my garden ended up dying after few wks . Or... Maybe not DYING, the roots are there, probably dormant, but will not grow in this dark place.
I've put dandilions in out of the garden but they die after a while. But I think they are now developing new shoots. Maybe in my case it was a shock going into a hot climate. We shall see. All seed sprouts bolted towards the window light, went spindly and popped there clogs. So I've sorted lighting out today. It's trial and error. I also seeded with some Bahia grass the other day, see how that goes.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Oh yeah nearly forgot, I've just put them in the enclosure and they've already eaten the millet grass I seeded:mad: and that was after being outside all day munching.

Pearly

5 Year Member
I've put dandilions in out of the garden but they die after a while. But I think they are now developing new shoots. Maybe in my case it was a shock going into a hot climate. We shall see. All seed sprouts bolted towards the window light, went spindly and popped there clogs. So I've sorted lighting out today. It's trial and error. I also seeded with some Bahia grass the other day, see how that goes.
Not familiar with the Bahia, just be sure the grass is shade loving variety. Dandie have deep root that if disturbed on transplanting may **** him off and he'll go on strike. Collect some Dandelion seeds and try to plant those as well. I don't bother bcs mine will spend majority of the year outside. In time their terrarium will probably just house... Plants and bugs... Whatever my kids decide to do. I'll have to get some kind of winter bedroom for the babies. Maybe not this year yet but next year for sure. Anyway, for you, just think:SHADE for your plants eventhough you may not feel like it's dark in there. You'd have to have it like a sun room or green house with 4 or 5 glass sides to have enough light for most plants to thrive without supplemental lighting