Frustrating Tortoise... >:(

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hey all, I have a question regarding my adult male Hermann's Tortoise. I do my best to give him a good soak once or twice a week, but whenever I put him in his soaking bin, all he does is run into the wall the whole time, trying to climb out. He's living solely indoors for the winter but I have a big playpen area for him (to supplement his 50 gallon rubbermaid tank) which I put him in for several hours a day, so he still gets plenty of exercise. For the soaks I use warm water, only as deep as where his carapace and plastron meet, which I believe is the right conditions...? Anyway, does anyone know a way to get him to stop doing this and just behave for his soaks? I want him to receive the hydration he needs, but he hates it and he's driving me nuts with the constant thudding noises. :p Haha.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Thats just a tortoise's natural thing. "AHHHH I'VE BEEN DUMPED IN WATER"

Make sure the water isn't too hot as well.

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Haha. So there's nothing wrong with my conditions or anything? And no way to get him to stop? Grrr. Hes lucky hes cute. xD

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Its normal. :)
Every one of my 8 do that. Russians, sulcatas, all of 'em. If a tortoise doesn't do that, he's dehydrated.

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
So its actually a good sign then. Haha. Fair enough. Thanks for your response!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like you just have a tortoise who does not like being forced to soak and gets stressed over it. :( I wouldn't call it a good sign and even a dehydrate tortoise may not like to be forced to soak.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I take it as a good sign. An ill tortoise wouldn't be strong enough to push put of a wall. This is my ray of thinking anyway.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Try giving him his bath first thing in the morning before he is warmed up. My Hermann seems to really enjoy his baths in the morning, but once he's up and moving around, forget about it!

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
I have two who climb the walls and one who just sits there. I don't think dehydration has anything to do with it.
If the water is too warm they all react, but my Indian star gets outright panicky. So see if your temps are to your tort's liking.
Over about 94 degrees and mine is like a cat on a hot tin roof!

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yup it depends on the torts. My trio are all pretty good, but they let me know when they are ready when want out, especially when they have added a floatie [PILE OF POO]

ColinF87

5 Year Member
Edinburgh, Scotland
Pokeymeg said:
Try giving him his bath first thing in the morning before he is warmed up. My Hermann seems to really enjoy his baths in the morning, but once he's up and moving around, forget about it!

Yeah, same here. Ringo will quite happily sit there and paddle around for a bit if we give him a bath first thing, but he starts trying to climb the walls after 25 minutes or so. If he's warmed up a bit first there's no chance of him staying calm, he just wants breakfast!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
CHECK YOUR WATER TEMPERATURE. My Hermann's HATED baths until one day I checked the temps send found the water I felt was comfortably warm was in the 90+ degrees. She is quite comfortable and content to soak in 83 degree water which feels too cool to me, but is obviously comfortable for her.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Moozillion is exactly who came to my mind when I read your question. I"m glad she just shared her input.

I use an infrared lazer temperature gun to check my water each time the torts get soaked. I am always surprised that 90-95F water feels cool to me. If I went with what felt warm to my hand the water would be 110-120F...no joke.