Galapagos

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
The picture of the tortoise's face, the first picture? That's an Aldabra tortoise. The galapagos tortoise's eyes are in line with his nostrils, while the Aldab's nostrils are below the eyes.

In fact, looking at the pictures again, I see that the one whose neck is being stroked is also an Aldabra.

You are so lucky to be able to care for these giants. Wonderful creatures!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
The picture of the tortoise's face, the first picture? That's an Aldabra tortoise. The galapagos tortoise's eyes are in line with his nostrils, while the Aldab's nostrils are below the eyes.

In fact, looking at the pictures again, I see that the one whose neck is being stroked is also an Aldabra.

0D (21).JPG 0D (26).JPG 0D (28).JPG

You are so lucky to be able to care for these giants. Wonderful creatures!

Thank you for the correction! This is very true. The Galapagos and Aldabra are in the same enclosure and I often just refer to them as the former because people tend to recognize the name more often and see them as "close enough."

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think the Galop has a much prettier face. The pictures Steven shows above are of a Galop we saw this past week-end at the Triple T Ranch.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
And we are welcomes you to the forum.

Soooooooo looking forward to read and see more of your posting about those beauties under your care.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think the Galop has a much prettier face. The pictures Steven shows above are of a Galop we saw this past week-end at the Triple T Ranch.
Really, I think the Aldabras are much cuter and friendlier looking. The Galops seem to almost always have goop in the corners of their eyes, ick and not as cute, more grumpy looking.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for sharing. I was a,little worried that the Zoo didn't know what they were. Glad it was just you:D. Always share pics, we love pics:D