Gandalf the Hermann's Tortoise

Gandalf the Turtle

Location (City and/or State)
Netherlands
Hi! I bought a 1 year old tortoise - named Gandalf after the legendary wizard - roughly two months ago. Right now (s)he seems to be dug under the heat lamp and doesn't move. I woke him/her up once roughly two weeks ago to change his location to my cellar. He is now inside his terrarium receiving 6 hours of sunlight and 3 hours of heat, and the terrarium is has a temperature of around 50F at 5am (when I wake up). Due to it becoming winter, I decided to slowly put him into hibernation about 4 weeks ago, but am afraid that I am doing something wrong. I haven't given Gandalf any food for the past week, and he doesn't move. I heard that a tortoise with a full intestine during hibernation offers bacteria to spread, so I put bathed him twice before putting him in the cellar. I have also been told to buy a small fridge specifically for my tortoise, so I've set some money aside to buy one. Am I doing everything properly?

I know this is an introduction thread, but right now I want to make sure I'm taking proper care of my tortoise and easing his/her way into the winter.

I'll write a new; better introduction once I know my tortoise is safe. If he's not, tell me what I can do!

Andy7782

Woking surrey
Hi! I bought a 1 year old tortoise - named Gandalf after the legendary wizard - roughly two months ago. Right now (s)he seems to be dug under the heat lamp and doesn't move. I woke him/her up once roughly two weeks ago to change his location to my cellar. He is now inside his terrarium receiving 6 hours of sunlight and 3 hours of heat, and the terrarium is has a temperature of around 50F at 5am (when I wake up). Due to it becoming winter, I decided to slowly put him into hibernation about 4 weeks ago, but am afraid that I am doing something wrong. I haven't given Gandalf any food for the past week, and he doesn't move. I heard that a tortoise with a full intestine during hibernation offers bacteria to spread, so I put bathed him twice before putting him in the cellar. I have also been told to buy a small fridge specifically for my tortoise, so I've set some money aside to buy one. Am I doing everything properly?

I know this is an introduction thread, but right now I want to make sure I'm taking proper care of my tortoise and easing his/her way into the winter.

I'll write a new; better introduction once I know my tortoise is safe. If he's not, tell me what I can do!
Hello
I don't no a massive amount about the Hermann as I have only just got one but I have been told by a lady at my.local pet shop who specializes in all things reptile that they should not hibernate in till around 8 to 10 years old.
If I am wrong I apologise but I think I am right.

Chizbad

Wilmington, NC
Welcome! I imagine somebody will come along here in a minute and give you some much needed info. I’m not really the one to chime in here knowing very little on your species of tort but I’m pretty sure your tort is in no way, shape or form ready for a hibernation. That should come much later in life if your little one is really only a year old. A wiser soul will surely be along soon with some good info for you

Andy7782

Woking surrey

Hey can you pm me please.