Garden chat & photos for torts and people ♫ ♫

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
A few pics from the front yard today.The original banana plant patchPicture 001.jpg Two cactus growing in cement plantersPicture 002.jpgPicture 003.jpg A cholla that always looks like it's on the verge of death but keeps on going.Picture 004.jpg Palm trees getting ready to go to seedPicture 005.jpg more banana and a couple different types of cactus plantsPicture 006.jpg A volunteer ROS just off the front porchPicture 007.jpg Some more ROSPicture 008.jpgA lot going on herePicture 009.jpgI like this one not sure of the real name. I call it a moon glory, It blooms at night with very large white blooms.Picture 011.jpg

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
A few pics from the front yard today.The original banana plant patchView attachment 298839 Two cactus growing in cement plantersView attachment 298840View attachment 298841 A cholla that always looks like it's on the verge of death but keeps on going.View attachment 298842 Palm trees getting ready to go to seedView attachment 298845 more banana and a couple different types of cactus plantsView attachment 298846 A volunteer ROS just off the front porchView attachment 298847 Some more ROSView attachment 298848A lot going on hereView attachment 298849I like this one not sure of the real name. I call it a moon glory, It blooms at night with very large white blooms.View attachment 298851
Nice flowers, I had some of those Moonflowers . I surprized that you have banana plants growing in VA. Didn't thing they would survive. May have to get one for my yarn here in MD.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Nice flowers, I had some of those Moonflowers . I surprized that you have banana plants growing in VA. Didn't thing they would survive. May have to get one for my yarn here in MD.
As the crow flies I'm not far from you, on the Potomac near the 301 bridge. They should do good for you.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
It's one that started from a fallen seed, not planted purpose. I get many every year, most I pull up but some start in a good spot so I let them grow.
For the first time I am pulling up and hacking up volunteer ROS. All, well a lot, of my neighbors have them now. I've given them to anybody I know.
I don't have flowers yet, it's been low 60's and rain too long. But all the plants have buds now. Our season is just behind yours I'm thinkin.

Len B

10 Year Member!
For the first time I am pulling up and hacking up volunteer ROS. All, well a lot, of my neighbors have them now. I've given them to anybody I know.
I don't have flowers yet, it's been low 60's and rain too long. But all the plants have buds now. Our season is just behind yours I'm thinkin.
Only 2 in the back yard have bloomed, all the others which are volunteer from some that I had in pots have buds but very few have opened.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Will ROS survive in the desert? Zone 10? If so, would someone send me some cuttings? I don't think plants would survive the trip...it's hitting 110-115° here now.
I don't know how they will do where you live, But if you will send me your address I will get a box together next week and send you some. I also can send some other stuff at the same time if you want to try other plants.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Turtulas-Len sent me some palm tree seeds a couple years ago. I planted them in an oblong pot, and will plant them in the ground when I think they're big enough. I think this is their third summer in the pot:

Len's seeds 7-19-20 a.jpg

When I was bringing the plants out of the greenhouse a few weeks ago I found this pot full of volunteers under the shelf, where it was in extremely low light:

Len's seeds 7-19-20 b.jpg

Then later today when I was watering, I saw this pot of volunteers that wasn't there volunteering last week when I watered:

Len's seeds 7-19-20 d.jpg

It's a wonder Len doesn't live in a palm tree forest. I have palm tree volunteers coming up all the time, all over the yard! (Not that I'm complaining. It's giving me ideas on making a palm tree wall on the west side of the property for afternoon shade)

Len B

10 Year Member!
@Turtulas-Len sent me some palm tree seeds a couple years ago. I planted them in an oblong pot, and will plant them in the ground when I think they're big enough. I think this is their third summer in the pot:

View attachment 300462

When I was bringing the plants out of the greenhouse a few weeks ago I found this pot full of volunteers under the shelf, where it was in extremely low light:

View attachment 300463

Then later today when I was watering, I saw this pot of volunteers that wasn't there volunteering last week when I watered:

View attachment 300464

It's a wonder Len doesn't live in a palm tree forest. I have palm tree volunteers coming up all the time, all over the yard! (Not that I'm complaining. It's giving me ideas on making a palm tree wall on the west side of the property for afternoon shade)
I don't get volunteers. I harvest the seeds each year and many drop to the ground while doing this. They may be like the moon plant seeds and not able to survive the winter weather above ground here. If I plant seeds in the spring to summer from either some will germinate, grow and survive through the next winter. also they may not show up until the following year. I have thousands of palm seeds in storage from years past and hoping some day to find someone that wants them. Going to have a bumper crop of seeds this year too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't get volunteers. I harvest the seeds each year and many drop to the ground while doing this. They may be like the moon plant seeds and not able to survive the winter weather above ground here. If I plant seeds in the spring to summer from either some will germinate, grow and survive through the next winter. also they may not show up until the following year. I have thousands of palm seeds in storage from years past and hoping some day to find someone that wants them. Going to have a bumper crop of seeds this year too.
Would you show us pictures of the fruit the seeds come from?