Garden Ferns as substrate for new Star pair

sunster

5 Year Member
View attachment 58131Hi ...
I just got a pair of stars yesterday. Have kept them for the time being in a tray with newspaper as substrate for the time being (see pix). In the process of making a proper enclosure. I was wondering if I could use fern leaves/ blades as a substrate and if so would the stars be harmed if they eat the ferns. Also, could you help with the lighting. Where can I get a good heating light for them. Nothing available in mumbai from brands like Exo Terra etc.

Attachments

• IMAG0438.jpg
    IMAG0438.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 122
Last edited by a moderator:

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
sunster said:
Hi ...
I just got a pair of stars yesterday. Have kept them for the time being in a tray with newspaper as substrate for the time being (see pix). In the process of making a proper enclosure. I was wondering if I could use fern leaves/ blades as a substrate and if so would the stars be harmed if they eat the ferns. Also, could you help with the lighting. Where can I get a good heating light for them. Nothing available in mumbai from brands like Exo Terra etc.

Maybe an ignorant idea on my part, but I imagine there are coconuts there, so coco husk would be available, and a good substrate choice.

Ferns are not a good choice, they tend to be Non-digestible to out right toxic, with a few exceptions.

For heat alone, not a bulb that produces any part of the UV spectrum, any flood or spot lamp will work. Even a traditional globe shaped bulb with a reflector will direct heat to one place, and less heat elsewhere in the enclosure, which provides a gradient.

Try not to get to trapped by labeling from companies that package "reptile" products. You don't necessarily get a better product, you just pay a premium for custom packaging.

Any white or red heat bulb (infra red), depending on wattage best for your needs, works every bit as well to heat your reptile, without the picture of a bearded dragon on the box.

There are several people on TFO from India, no doubt including Mumbai, that might be able to share a local source for substrate alternatives they use. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-68875.html

Nice group of tortoises.

Will

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
some ferns are toxic. I wouldn't use them for substrate.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Excellent suggestions from Will. Yay Will! Your tortoises are divine! Welcome to TFO! Lots of lovely tortoise keepers from your India! They will join the conversation soon I am sure! : )

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello sunster, welcome to TFO you got really gorgeous stars..... regarding the heating light i think arotester(one of the members) might help.... he lives in mumbai and i think at one point he bought a UV light.... so shoot him a private message and i hope you get a solution.... otherwise you can buy online like Yvonne said.... or you can use the ever shining and freely available sunlight for UV and heat in daytime and at night you can use incandescent bulb 40W-50W locally available at any electric store for heat.... and like Will said make sure that bulb is attached in a holder which reflects light at a point and not dispersed in every direction.... and like others said some ferns are toxic so you should avoid them... you can use garden soil which is free of any pesticide and chemical fertilisers..... you can also use coconut husk.....

sunster

5 Year Member
Hi all
Thanks for all these valuable and excellent suggestions. Also thanks for the wonderful compliments on my stars.

Sent from my HTC One using TortForum mobile app

sunster

5 Year Member
Perfect! I have given away with the fern idea thank to you all!!

Im in process of making an enclosure for my stars with grass as substrate.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Will said:
sunster said:
Hi ...

Maybe an ignorant idea on my part, but I imagine there are coconuts there, so coco husk would be available, and a good substrate choice.

Ferns are not a good choice, they tend to be Non-digestible to out right toxic, with a few exceptions.

For heat alone, not a bulb that produces any part of the UV spectrum, any flood or spot lamp will work. Even a traditional globe shaped bulb with a reflector will direct heat to one place, and less heat elsewhere in the enclosure, which provides a gradient.

Try not to get to trapped by labeling from companies that package "reptile" products. You don't necessarily get a better product, you just pay a premium for custom packaging.

Any white or red heat bulb (infra red), depending on wattage best for your needs, works every bit as well to heat your reptile, without the picture of a bearded dragon on the box.

There are several people on TFO from India, no doubt including Mumbai, that might be able to share a local source for substrate alternatives they use. http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-68875.html

Nice group of tortoises.

Will

Thank you Will. Very, very useful information you provided. Money saving one too. Thanks again.