Garden Seed inventory (seed swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
Dan and I are gearing up for the upcoming gardening season so I sat down and inventoried all of our seeds on hand. If anyone is interested in swapping some seeds for anything we have listed here let me know what you have to swap. Always looking for more peppers, heirloom tomatoes, flowers (especially Sunflowers and edible flowers for my Tortoises)

*denotes limited quantities, inquire

(tort) denotes Tortoise safe/edible

Pepper Inventory 1/4/08

Black Pearl

Hot Banana

Medusa

Cherry Bomb

Fresno

Beaver Dam

Purple Taz

Mystery long sweet yellow

Jimmy Nardello

*Masquerade Ornamental

Serrano

Cubanelle

Marconi Red

Pepperoncini Greek

Carnival mixed Bells (tort)

Nosegay

Cali Wonder Green Bells (tort)

Hungarian Hot Yellow Wax

Yellow Sweet Banana

Alma Paprika

Tabago Sweet Seasoning

Purple Ecuadorian

Unknown Yellow 3

Charleston Hot

Thai

Pueblo Pepper

Sky Clump

Bermuda

Barney

Red Caribbean

Vietnamese Multicolor

Filius Blue

Bolivian Rainbow

Turkish Cayenne

Banana

Thai Sun

Golden Habanero

Orange Habanero

Fish Chile

Mystery large green sweet (AJ)

Billy Goat Peach

Little Nubian

Bulgarian Carrot

Naga Jolokia Purple (Dan grown)

Spanish

Unknown Ornamental (side)

Super Cayenne

Misc bag (sweep the floor dehydrator)

Flower Seed Inventory 1/4/08

Forget Me Nots

Bachelor Buttons (tort)

Ageratum

Goblin Flower

Dwarf large Sunflower

Small Sunflower

Yellow Coneflower (short and tall varieties)

Purple Coneflower (tort)

Wildflower Mix

Nasturtium (tort)

California Poppy (tort)

Pink Hibiscus (tort)

Rose of Sharon Hibiscus (tort)

Edible plants for Tortoises

Chia seeds

Clover

Mixed grasses

Dandelion greens

Tomato Seed Inventory 1/4/08

Black Krim

Large Red Cherry

Grape

Tomatillo

Roma

Brandywine

Veggie Seed Inventory 1/4/08

Beans (?)

Pole beans (Amish)

Spinach

Red oakleaf Lettuce (tort)

Mustard Greens (tort)

Chives

Broccoli

Oregano

Radish

Eggplant

Cilantro (tort)

Sweet Basil

Red Saladbowl lettuce (tort)

Buttercrunch

Green Onion

Yellow Onion

Garlic Chives

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
WOW:D!! I do not have any seeds to swap by I wanted to comment that you have a great seed inventory. Do you grow all that stuff?? I am so jealous, I cannot even keep a house plant alive:rolleyes:. I am amazed, how do you do it?

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
barbie69 said:
WOW:D!! I do not have any seeds to swap by I wanted to comment that you have a great seed inventory. Do you grow all that stuff?? I am so jealous, I cannot even keep a house plant alive:rolleyes:. I am amazed, how do you do it?

My other half is the *pepper head*, he actually has more seeds than that just the rest of them he has so few numbers there arent enough to swap until he grows the pepper itself and produces more seeds. He tries to grow at least 20 varieties of peppers each year. This year we will be working on some salsa recipes of our own as well. We dry out a whole lot of peppers during the growing season. Our house smells like peppers all the time while the dehydrator is running. lol I mostly grow the heirloom tomatoes and dabble in some of the peppers like the ornamentals. I love growing flowers and its nice if I can grow stuff the torts can eat too. We are starting to plan this years garden now, we will be starting seeds indoors under grow lights at the end of Jan, or early Feb to get a jump start on the short growing season we have up here in WI.

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
yah i can't keep a plant alive to save my life!!!!! I bet you i'd kill dandelions. lol! i'm envious, too!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
The only way I can grow anything is if we have 10 foot fences. The deer are very brazen here. They come right up on my patio and go into my flower beds! They eat everything in sight!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
jlyoncc1 said:
The only way I can grow anything is if we have 10 foot fences. The deer are very brazen here. They come right up on my patio and go into my flower beds! They eat everything in sight!

Well that is a concern for this year as we moved on to 80 wooded acres the end of August. We will see how that goes. The woods start 20 yards or so out the back doors and pretty much surround the house other than the driveway. This area is nothing but farmland and woods. Plenty of Deer, Pheasant and Turkey.

Here is a front view.
147e8921.jpg

Here is my view outside my office window, at the back of the house.
a966479c.jpg

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Very pretty. We live in the pine barrens. I will have to post some pics it is very pretty. I can give you a safe potion for plants in your yard that works if you apply every 2 weeks. Put 3 eggs in a blender and fill with water. Mix well, put in a sprayer and apply generously to plants. The deer do not like the protein in the plants and won't eat them. But if you don't reapply in 2 weeks, they are free food!

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
jlyoncc1 said:
Very pretty. We live in the pine barrens. I will have to post some pics it is very pretty. I can give you a safe potion for plants in your yard that works if you apply every 2 weeks. Put 3 eggs in a blender and fill with water. Mix well, put in a sprayer and apply generously to plants. The deer do not like the protein in the plants and won't eat them. But if you don't reapply in 2 weeks, they are free food!

It would definitely be worth a try! Thanks. Im also thinking of planting Daffodils along the edge of the woods. They dont like the taste of them. lol

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
wow anja, im SO jealous of you and ALL THAT LAND!!!
if i were you, i'd have a huge garden as well.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
We planted some extra purple coneflowers in our woodlot (deer heaven with multiple mulberries) and they don't touch them. They'll graze and browse around them but won't touch.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Anja, I noticed that you have listed the purple coneflower as tort friendly. Flower and leaves? That is something that I have growing and spreading each year. How about morning glories? I have a wall of them that grows each year. Are those flowers edible by torts?

Iluvemturts

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Central WI
Hey Dee, I have more morning glories than I know what to do with. I dont believe they are good for the torts, but I had torts escape last year and I'd always find them munching on the leaves. They didnt get very much of it and there wasnt any bad side affects.

If anyone wants some MG let me know ...I'll send them FREE. I actually have to "weed" out the MG from my other beds.:p

wish I had seeds to swap with ya AJ.....I never think to save the seeds.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
jlyoncc1 said:
Anja, I noticed that you have listed the purple coneflower as tort friendly. Flower and leaves? That is something that I have growing and spreading each year. How about morning glories? I have a wall of them that grows each year. Are those flowers edible by torts?

From the AfricanTortoise website under their edible plants.

Echinacea purpurea / pallida / angustifolia
Echinacea/purple cone flower all parts edible

Im not finding anything on their site regarding MGs though.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The coneflowers should be ok for torts in general. Looking at suggested plants for Africans in addition to coneflowers, I found big and little bluestem, blue grama, and opuntia. These are hardly native to Africa but to North America (they part of my native plant gardens). The morning glories, I have some reservations on. I religously puled and destroyed them when I raised goats because of toxidity to mammals. I know herp can eat somethings that we can't (my burmese can eat Alocasia or elephant ear whereas we can't), so until I see something written I'd avoid it.

Status
Not open for further replies.