General advice hermann

Hhollylouise

Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire
Hi,
So i have a Hermann hatched august 2022 and I've had her since feb 2023 so nearly a year , after having her for a few months she got a ri she would sleep a lot , no basking and clicking noises constantly and sneezing after some antibiotics and upping temps she was back to herself , the reasons she got a ri was because i kept humidity over 80% and she was way to cold , ever since ive kept temps high and humidity lower between 30-50 temps no lower then 23 but she still makes clicking noises she eats normal and basks and is very active but i often hear her clicking when shes eating or when shes basking or when she goes to bed its never more then a few at a time is this normal will she ever stop ? I have held her near my ear ,the vet told me to do this if i ever worried to hear if she whistles etc ,but she doesn't and her eyes and nose are always clear

Edit her temps are
Basking spot 36
Cool end 26-28
Night temps - no lower then 23
Humidity between 30-70

Substrate is only coco coir for the time until i find something else but i find it dries out way to quickly and i see people say top soil but i buy brands people recommend and find all sorts in and i don't trust it so any recommendations would be great on what else i can use

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hi!
I would up humidity a little bit (to 50-60%). With correct temperatures there is no risk of RI.

Don't use top soil for substrate. It's almost like coir but have more risks if its origin is unknown.

Two good substrates are fine grade orchid (fir, not pine) bark and cypress mulch. If you can't find them cheap in a garden center or a plant nursery nearby, then you can get Reptibark (orchid bark) or Forest Floor (cypress mulch) from a pet shop (if you are in UK you can buy Swell-branded fine grade orchid bark from Swell Reptile). While it's generally better not to mix substrates, you can put a thin layer of bark or mulch on top of coir to keep it damp beneath.

I'm not sure about clicking sounds - it could be an irritation from coir dust or RI symptom, but some healthy tortoises make them as well.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,
So i have a Hermann hatched august 2022 and I've had her since feb 2023 so nearly a year , after having her for a few months she got a ri she would sleep a lot , no basking and clicking noises constantly and sneezing after some antibiotics and upping temps she was back to herself , the reasons she got a ri was because i kept humidity over 80% and she was way to cold , ever since ive kept temps high and humidity lower between 30-50 temps no lower then 23 but she still makes clicking noises she eats normal and basks and is very active but i often hear her clicking when shes eating or when shes basking or when she goes to bed its never more then a few at a time is this normal will she ever stop ? I have held her near my ear ,the vet told me to do this if i ever worried to hear if she whistles etc ,but she doesn't and her eyes and nose are always clear

Edit her temps are
Basking spot 36
Cool end 26-28
Humidity between 30-70

Substrate is only coco coir for the time until i find something else but i find it dries out way to quickly and i see people say top soil but i buy brands people recommend and find all sorts in and i don't trust it so any recommendations would be great on what else i can use
Sounds like you are doing everything right. Coir needs to be kept damp. You will need to continuously be dumping water into it. How much water and how often varies with each enclosure, and it varies in the SAME enclosure seasonally. You have to go by feel. It needs to be damp, but not wet.

hokankai

WA
Hi,

Edit her temps are
Basking spot 36
Cool end 26-28
Humidity between 30-70

Mine were making a noise at one point and it ended up being the sound of their little beaks grinding. If the clicking is while inhaling or exhaling I would be worried about about lung sounds but they do make some noise with their beak in normal activity especially if the room is already quiet you can hear it.