General information

Happy tort

Location (City and/or State)
Medway kent uk
Hi everyone
As I’m new I will introduce flash my tortoise.
He is a 12yr old spur thighed tortoise according to the paperwork.
I have had him for about five years and he came from my stepson.
He was always kept in a tortoise type thing about 4ft long 2ft wide with a heat lamp.
Don’t think he was happy for the first two years of having him and was always scratching as if he wanted to get out.
Well about three years ago tried him in the garden and he was much happier then he disappeared.
Ah well thought that was it even though there was no way out of the garden.
Then a few months later was doing the flower beds and came across the little beggar buried so it must have been in hibernation which he never had chance to do before.
So that’s how it’s been for the last few years as I’ve made him a shelter under a large plastic storage bin.
Where he hibernates.
He comes out every day and sits in the sun and roams the garden and didn’t realise how fast they are.
Don’t like us messing with his garden and gets very defensive if I’m doing some weeding hem will come up to me and start head butting my legs (well she’ll butting if you know what I mean).
If he gets no joy with that he likes to. bite me.
So that’s his introduction done with do I now have a question the back part of his shell curls under inwards is this normal as it looks like it protects his bits.

Regards

Tony

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Welcome to the Forum. Try to upload a few pictures of your 12 year old little garden buddy. The shell sounds “normal” but impossible to tell without seeing some pix. Share some pix of your garden too. We all like plants & trees & flowers too. 🌿🐢🐜🌱

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi everyone
As I’m new I will introduce flash my tortoise.
He is a 12yr old spur thighed tortoise according to the paperwork.
I have had him for about five years and he came from my stepson.
He was always kept in a tortoise type thing about 4ft long 2ft wide with a heat lamp.
Don’t think he was happy for the first two years of having him and was always scratching as if he wanted to get out.
Well about three years ago tried him in the garden and he was much happier then he disappeared.
Ah well thought that was it even though there was no way out of the garden.
Then a few months later was doing the flower beds and came across the little beggar buried so it must have been in hibernation which he never had chance to do before.
So that’s how it’s been for the last few years as I’ve made him a shelter under a large plastic storage bin.
Where he hibernates.
He comes out every day and sits in the sun and roams the garden and didn’t realise how fast they are.
Don’t like us messing with his garden and gets very defensive if I’m doing some weeding hem will come up to me and start head butting my legs (well she’ll butting if you know what I mean).
If he gets no joy with that he likes to. bite me.
So that’s his introduction done with do I now have a question the back part of his shell curls under inwards is this normal as it looks like it protects his bits.

Regards

Tony
Hello and welcome.

2x4 is about a quarter of the minimum size that the enclosure should have been for this poor guy. 4x8 feet is the smallest recommended, and larger than that is better. Tortoises need very large enclosures. Much larger than most other reptiles.

The rear of the shell sounds normal. A picture would verify.

Outdoors full time in your climate is not ideal. Best to use a combination of the two so the tortoise has the best of both worlds. Outdoors in the garden in fair weather, and protected indoors during not-so-favorable weather and for its winter brumation.

Most sources of care info for tortoises are all wrong. Here is the right info:

Questions are welcome.

Happy tort

Medway kent uk
Hello and welcome.

2x4 is about a quarter of the minimum size that the enclosure should have been for this poor guy. 4x8 feet is the smallest recommended, and larger than that is better. Tortoises need very large enclosures. Much larger than most other reptiles.

Outdoors full time in your climate is not ideal. Best to use a combination of the two so the tortoise has the best of both worlds. Outdoors in the garden in fair weather, and protected indoors during not-so-favorable weather and for its winter brumation.

Questions are welcome.

Happy tort

Medway kent uk
Hi thanks for your replies guys will now try to add photos and a short video.
Welcome to the Forum. Try to upload a few pictures of your 12 year old little garden buddy. The shell sounds “normal” but impossible to tell without seeing some pix. Share some pix of your garden too. We all like plants & trees & flowers too. 🌿🐢🐜🌱

Attachments

• 84756D06-3C70-4980-9FEA-54E9EAEF4A15.jpeg
    84756D06-3C70-4980-9FEA-54E9EAEF4A15.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 68F09490-1FE1-4303-B15A-7274E9D1038F.jpeg
    68F09490-1FE1-4303-B15A-7274E9D1038F.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 7122D192-3332-4AFC-B642-3CCD7FB44115.jpeg
    7122D192-3332-4AFC-B642-3CCD7FB44115.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • A64DB4A8-5860-451F-9565-B2D84938763F.jpeg
    A64DB4A8-5860-451F-9565-B2D84938763F.jpeg
    9.9 MB · Views: 4

Happy tort

Medway kent uk
Hi thanks for your replies guys will now try to add photos and a short video.
3293BABA-C869-4C96-9D3A-1C51AEB1C7F4.jpegE3F6166F-2A0B-43B8-B371-F5286F47DFDD.jpeg699B9574-0CE0-4759-9BA0-9D5ECEDBC2FB.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That shell configuration is normal for males. It helps keep the breeding parts where they need to be while covering the female.

Happy tort

Medway kent uk
Hello and welcome.

Questions are welcome.
That shell configuration is normal for males. It helps keep the breeding parts where they need to be while covering the female.
Thank you very much was getting worried EC0AC212-C81B-43B5-B415-D762D0175699.jpeg