General Questions from Beginner

Location (City and/or State)
Newark, DE
I had one last question, sorry. Is this a good UV light and heat amp? It was like $20 so I didn't know if it was a good source or not. But I hope it is, because the whole cage doesn't have to be really warm right, just the spot where the tortoise can go to warm up? Everything else can be room temperature? And if this isn't, what would be a good one to get?
View attachment 217546

I think that short reptisun bulb is the one that can damage their eyes. You can get a MVB or you can get a tube UV light. If you go to the pet store they're a lot more expensive than Amazon or an online store. If you go with the tube UV, you can just use a regular light bulb for basking.

Newark, DE
618zvYACX8L.jpg
51jzQ2FsfPL._SX425_.jpg

Eric True

Columbia, Missouri
I think that short reptisun bulb is the one that can damage their eyes. You can get a MVB or you can get a tube UV light. If you go to the pet store they're a lot more expensive than Amazon or an online store. If you go with the tube UV, you can just use a regular light bulb for basking.
Thank you, I'll look into that. Hopefully my roommate can return that when it arrives tomorrow and get a refund lol (he ordered it from amazon). The last thing I want to do is damage their eyes. But we need a heat lamp, since the temperature needs to get to at least 80 degrees for them to eat, and right now it's only about 72 in the dorm room. And I'm really worried by the fact that he's not eating right now. And that leads me to wonder if I'm feeding him the right things too. I'm feeding him Zoomed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food, but me and my roommate mixed in All Living Things dried veggie and fruit mix, but he still isn't eating. I just got to him yesterday, and maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I need to make sure I'm doing everything right. Are store bought lettuces and dandelions better sources?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you, I'll look into that. Hopefully my roommate can return that when it arrives tomorrow and get a refund lol (he ordered it from amazon). The last thing I want to do is damage their eyes. But we need a heat lamp, since the temperature needs to get to at least 80 degrees for them to eat, and right now it's only about 72 in the dorm room. And I'm really worried by the fact that he's not eating right now. And that leads me to wonder if I'm feeding him the right things too. I'm feeding him Zoomed Natural Grassland Tortoise Food, but me and my roommate mixed in All Living Things dried veggie and fruit mix, but he still isn't eating. I just got to him yesterday, and maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but I need to make sure I'm doing everything right. Are store bought lettuces and dandelions better sources?

They need a basking area of 95-100 to function properly. 80 is a nice day time ambient.

The ZooMed food is good, but few tortoises will walk up and eat it plain. Plus your species is not a grass eater. You can use store bought greens if you don't have anything better. Favor endive and escarole, but use lots of variety. To introduce the ZooMed food: Chop up some greens and spray them with plain water. Simultaneously, soak a single ZooMed Pellet. When the pellet turns to mush, thoroughly mix it in with the chopped greens. Over time, the tortoise will get used to the sight, smell and texture of the pellets and you can add a little more now and then.

The best food for this species is broadleaf weeds from a safe source. We can help you learn which ones. Mulberry leaves and hibiscus leaves are great too. Add in some "nopales" from the grocery store one in a while and you'll be styling'.

Because this is a wild caught tortoise, he might not recognize any of these things as food right away. It will take some time to get him used to his new life. Get the temperature up and correct, and keep soaking him, and hopefully things will work out.

If the urge to get anymore animals strikes you, look for something captive bred from a breeder. They tend to do much better.

Newark, DE

You can use a regular incandescent bulb - just make sure it's a round normal bulb like you would use for a lamp. That will then provide a basking spot and the temperature will taper off as you get farther and farther from the bulb. You want the temperature under the bulb to be about 95/100 or so for him to bask. Also, this may be common sense but I'll add it - just make sure it's up high enough that the tort can't burn himself on the bulb! That will at least get his home heated up while you work out your UVA/B situation. You don't want to give the veggie and fruit mix to a Russian - they shouldn't have fruit. My torts like the mazuri (regular not LS). you can get it on Amazon or at some big box pet stores. It's cheaper on Amazon. You can pick dandelions, plantain and lots of other weeds which should make up most of his diet. Just make sure you don't get them from anywhere that may be sprayed (like around your dorm). Mine also like bok choy, endive and chicory - you can get those at the grocery store. Also, you can use spring mix in a pinch just pick out the spinach!

Newark, DE
Here is a link to a website that lists plants and tells you whether they are safe to feed:
http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/

Bambam1989

East Texas
So what should my next steps be, that way I know what to do and when. I'm glad I asked here, even if I might be annoying the crap out of anyone here. But this has been both very helpful and utterly terrifying. I want to make this work, but I'm worried it won't and I really don't want the tortoise to be hurt in anyway. What should my steps be to correct my problems, and get this situation headed in the right direction?
The people on this forum are here to help you and your tortoise. We all get over eager at times and everyone here is just glad that you care enough to ask the questions.

Eric True

Columbia, Missouri
The people on this forum are here to help you and your tortoise. We all get over eager at times and everyone here is just glad that you care enough to ask the questions.
Yeah, all the advice I've gotten has been really good. My dad is in the process of building a bigger custom cage back home, and me and my roommate just bought a heat lamp that I'm gonna install when we get back to the room. We don't have time to get any greens today, but tomorrow we're gonna get some, and hopefully our tortoise will be a bit happier, because then I'll be a bit happier.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Did I set this up right? I feel like I didn't. The heat lamp looks way too direct

Only your thermometer can answer this. Basking temp directly under the bulb should be around 95-100.

One important thing to note: Those clamps always fail. I would not use it. I take the clamps off and hang my lamps from over head. This makes them much easier to adjust to. Simply raise or lower the bulb to get the correct temp under it.

ZooMed makes and adjustable lamp stand, or you can build your own out of wood or PVC.