Georgie Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
For your information maggie3fan, I used a spoonful because the water got cold every 5 minutes so I replaced it every time I changed the water. Just because you have 20 tortoises doesn't mean they all represent the entire population of tortoises, some are born different then others, just like humans. How are you going to say that you knew my tortoise was sick for a very long time? I did everything I read from this forum and he still got sick so obviously 5 hours of UVB wasn't enough to prevent him from getting sick. The information I got was from the vet, and she said that he needs the UVB light on for 12-14 hours a day. And if you're going to give someone advice on their sick tortoise don't tell them that it's going to die, be optimistic about it, the owner is already sad about their sick tortoise don't make it worse.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
dcoolguy68 said:
For your information maggie3fan, I used a spoonful because the water got cold every 5 minutes so I replaced it every time I changed the water. Just because you have 20 tortoises doesn't mean they all represent the entire population of tortoises, some are born different then others, just like humans. How are you going to say that you knew my tortoise was sick for a very long time? I did everything I read from this forum and he still got sick so obviously 5 hours of UVB wasn't enough to prevent him from getting sick. The information I got was from the vet, and she said that he needs the UVB light on for 12-14 hours a day. And if you're going to give someone advice on their sick tortoise don't tell them that it's going to die, be optimistic about it, the owner is already sad about their sick tortoise don't make it worse.

Calm down already. What kind of behavior is that? Maggie has her experience, and she knows what she is doing. The past experiences tell that you have had bad luck with babies. She has not.

So let it alone.

She does what works for her, and you should do what works for you.

Telling Gramps to prepare Stevie is only rational. If he tells his daughter that her baby will be fine, and then Georgie passes, she would be even MORE devastated than if he said, "honey, not all babies make it. when they are born, some are different, and not all are as strong as they should be. And Georgie might be one like that"

He will not be doing his daughter any harm by letting her know that since her tortoise is so little, he might not make it.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath and calm down. Maggie has her reasons, but I cannot see any on your end of things for you to be so testy. Baby food is cheap. Your tortoise was expensive and you SHOULD have been using the whole jar every time you changed the water if that was what was recommended to you.

Do not blame the adviser for a bad result, when you did not follow the advice properly in the first place. And the tub should have been on a heat mat, or eclectic blanket if it was getting cold so quickly. Or you should have been running a space heater, similar to what adults do for toddlers in the winter when it is bath time.

Optimism never saved anybody. There is a difference between being positive, and having false hope. She did not tell him to stop treating his sulcata, she gave him a realistic outlook.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dcoolguy68 said:
How are you going to say that you knew my tortoise was sick for a very long time?

Experienced tortoise keepers know that a tortoise is sick for a very long time prior to the animal showing any symptoms. It doesn't happen overnight. Once you actually SEE that the tortoise is sick, it is sometimes too late to do anything about it.

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
You did however say that it died because it was the day before Thanksgiving and the vet was closed. Why couldn't it have gone to a vet before that? It didn't just suddenly fall ill that day, that is the point.

Kristina

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yeah he did die the day before Thanksgiving, he was sick before that, but when I called the vets they said they weren't going to be available until after Thanksgiving. How hard is that to understand?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
dcoolguy68 said:
Yeah he did die the day before Thanksgiving, he was sick before that, but when I called the vets they said they weren't going to be available until after Thanksgiving. How hard is that to understand?

I'm really sorry that we seem to have gotten you into the defensive mode. We just want to help. Please don't think that we are picking on you. Chances are pretty good that those few days around Thanksgiving would not have made any difference in saving or not your little guy's life. Once they get that far gone its pretty hard to save them. You did everything you could, and tried to follow the "rules," but you lost him anyway. That always hurts, and I'm very sorry.

Yvonne

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for understanding, trust me from the moment he didn't eat as much as he used to i called the vet and those days w/o any medical help did not help him at all. With the other one I did the same thing and now he's doing a lot better and he started eating again little by little.

M

Maggie Cummings

dcoolguy68 said:

You are absolutely right, I shouldn't be giving advice to anyone

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
[/quote]

Maggie, I personally would like you to continue to give advice. As I am new to tortoises, I find your experience helpful and educational. If someone chooses to follow that advice that is their choice. Providing advice based upon your experience gives those of us with newbie questions peace of mind and suggestions without hours of research, which turns out conflicting and confusing results. I have personally read 100's of old posts (occasional insomnia) to better educate myself and a larger majority of the information I have found useful was from you, Yvonne and Danny. So thank you to all of you that do offer advise to help the rest of us provide the best captive care we can. Oh and thank you from the kids, too.

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
dcoolguy68 said:

You're obviously taking things the wrong way but w/e.

M

Maggie Cummings

dcoolguy68 said:
maggie3fan said:
dcoolguy68 said:

Really? How else am I supposed to take it?

M

Maggie Cummings

maggie3fan said:
dcoolguy68 said:
maggie3fan said:
dcoolguy68 said:

duncoolguy68 has been quite the conversationalist until now. No response??? Why not???

dcoolguy68

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
There's no point arguing with you cause you're just going to take things the wrong way again, so why even bother?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok...its time for EVERYBODY to back off and cool down. This is Georgie's Grampa's thread and not a place for differing opinions on a different topic. Please take your "argument" private and let's get this thread back on topic! (Or I'm going to have to lock the thread)

Yvonne

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
maggie3fan said:
dcoolguy68 said:
maggie3fan said:
dcoolguy68 said:

duncoolguy68 has been quite the conversationalist until now. No response??? Why not???

why is it that everytime someone questions your advice to you get so argumentative?
You can go to 3 doctors and get 3 different diagnosises. Same thing here. He tried it your way (mostly), it didn't work, baby died. He did it the vet's way, and the other is making progress. Doesn't mean your way is wrong. there is no one way to treat tortoises or iguanas or snakes or any reptiles. 15-20 years ago, people fed their iguanas dog food. Margarine was better for you than butter. Alfalfa was the hay of choice.
Now we know differently. You frequently say that it is only your advice and freq. it goes against the grain. It works for you and that is great. It's obvious that you care a great deal for your tort's. Spread the knowledge and leave the sarcasm at home.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One more response like this and the thread is going to be locked. PLEASE!!! This thread is about Georgie's Grampa's little sulcata. NO MORE!!!

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I am sorry, welcome to the forum. I see you are new here, so maybe you didn't realize that it was already said that the argument was over.

I think maybe you should get to know the group a little better before you start cutting long term members down and making accusations. Just a suggestion.

Georgie's Grampa, I for one want to apologize. In the beggining everyone just wanted to give you sound advice on how to help your baby. I really hope that he gets better and everything is okay, but I too would suggest preparing your granddaughter for the possibility that he won't make it. That is not being negative, but practical and helping a child to understand a difficult part of life. If your little guy does pull through, it will only make it that more joyous.

Kristina

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
kyryah said:
I really hope that he gets better and everything is okay, but I too would suggest preparing your granddaughter for the possibility that he won't make it. That is not being negative, but practical and helping a child to understand a difficult part of life. If your little guy does pull through, it will only make it that more joyous.

Kristina

Hi Georgies Grampa...Welcome and I am sorry your baby isn't doing well. I agree with Maggie, Yvonne & Kristina. I REALLY hope he pulls thru, but many times once there are symptoms, the chances of pulling thru are slim.
And I agree that you need to prepare your grand child. My 6 year old grand daughter got really upset a few weeks ago when one of my gecko eggs didn't live. She dwelled on it for several days. Last week I foster-cared a 2 week puppy for the vet I used to work for. I was pretty sure it wasn't going to make it cause the owner waited too long before taking it to the vet. I started preparing her as soon as I brought it home. Since I believe that animals go to Heaven too, I told her that God must have a little girl up there with Him that never had a puppy before. We held it as it died, then buried it together, and she was OK. No tears this time. She told her parents and then let it go.
Good luck and don't give up yet
Patsy

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi Grampa...Sorry, for some reason I thought your daughter was your grand daughter!!!
Good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.