Germicidal light LED

Tortellini5

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Monica, CA
I am looking into adding a germicid LED light to my tortoise enclosure only for the purpose of having the enclosure lit up during the day (not a UVB) and hoping this can eliminate some potential germ issues. I am looking at one in the Home Depot, does anyone know if the germicidal light is beneficial or harmful for the enclosure. The box does state that it is safe for humans and pets so I just wanted to see if anyone has any opinions, thoughts, concerns, etc. Thank you all in advance for the input on this. See photos attached.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have no idea if it would harm them or not. But I'm not sure why you think you need it?
Tortoises live in the wild. Drink from mud holes, eat dirt and bugs when grazing, eat animal poop and dead animals.
In our care, they live much cleaner. In fact a tortoise living in a highly sanitized/sterile environment is likely more susceptible to problems/disease etc, then one not kept so sterile. I know in people it's true. A few I know that try to live like that are always sick.

jcase

Platinum Tortoise Club
Pittsboro, NC
That almost reads like it is a UVC bulb. I would not use those to light any living creature I cared about.

Tortellini5

Santa Monica, CA
I have no idea if it would harm them or not. But I'm not sure why you think you need it?
Tortoises live in the wild. Drink from mud holes, eat dirt and bugs when grazing, eat animal poop and dead animals.
In our care, they live much cleaner. In fact a tortoise living in a highly sanitized/sterile environment is likely more susceptible to problems/disease etc, then one not kept so sterile. I know in people it's true. A few I know that try to live like that are always sick.
Ok thank you, might just go with a regular LED bulb in that case.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Ok thank you, might just go with a regular LED bulb in that case.
I use full spectrum LEDs made for fish tanks for ambient light in my enclosures. They work good for plants too.