Gertrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Debratm

5 Year Member
Ok so I changed my Sulcata's name to Myrtle. I am concerned because she has not been out from under her little cave since early this morning. I have been giving her different greens and a little bit of carrots, strawberries and apple as per the instructions of the vendor who sold her to me. I have two lights on her one is the "powersun UV" light and the other is the basking lamp. I have been checking the temp 80 degrees and the humidity is 55. Although I have a "nocturnal infrared heat lamp" I am not using it because I think that she is warm enough. Please provide input if I am doing something wrong I need to correct before it is too late.

Thanks,

Concerned Turtle Mom

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
I read your first thread that you posted about getting your new Sulcata did you get to read other peoples posts? You posted this under "For Sale" thread so I went ahead and reported it to a moderator so they can move it for you. I know that Yvonne had posted about the glass tank did you change or not? I don't know that much about Sulcata's so I guess I'll wait until someone with more knowledge chimes in. I do hope that you got rid of those ants though. :(

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
Debratm said:
Ok so I changed my Sulcata's name to Myrtle. I am concerned because she has not been out from under her little cave since early this morning. I have been giving her different greens and a little bit of carrots, strawberries and apple as per the instructions of the vendor who sold her to me. I have two lights on her one is the "powersun UV" light and the other is the basking lamp. I have been checking the temp 80 degrees and the humidity is 55. Although I have a "nocturnal infrared heat lamp" I am not using it because I think that she is warm enough. Please provide input if I am doing something wrong I need to correct before it is too late.

Thanks,

Concerned Turtle Mom

Picture of setup please.

Basking spot should be 100-105, humidity at 70-80%.

How old is the tortoise, how large? What are you feeding it? How often are you soaking it?

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Cut out the fruit, apple seeds are toxic. Is Myrtle a hatchling? If so than just feed spring greens. If he is an older tort than he should be given mostly grass and hay and weeds. Sulcatas should not be given fruit although I know some do rarely for a treat. Carrots and squash now and then is fine.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good advice above. 80 is fine for an ambient temp, but how warm is your basking spot?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might have too many lights. Does the power sun UV light give off heat? If so, then you really don't need the basking light.

Babies sleep a lot. But he should eat a lot too. Use fruit as an occasional treat, but not a staple in the diet. Too much fruit might cause a parasite bloom .

Debratm

5 Year Member
Missy said:
Cut out the fruit, apple seeds are toxic. Is Myrtle a hatchling? If so than just feed spring greens. If he is an older tort than he should be given mostly grass and hay and weeds. Sulcatas should not be given fruit although I know some do rarely for a treat. Carrots and squash now and then is fine.

Thank you for the reply. I only give her small pieces of apple (no seeds) and not often. Mostly mixed greens. Myrtle was born in February. At what age do I give her grass, hay, and weeds. I do give her Mazuri but she does not eat it.

Thanks again for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.