get rid of one or add one?

morbank

5 Year Member
I have a large female Russian tortoise and a smaller male Russian tortoise. They were brought to us by a Tortoise rescue group as a pair. We were told they lived together for years. However, I find that the male tortoise nips and bites at the female one often (and more so in spring--mating season perhapd? I don't know). And the female one sometimes pushes the male one away from food (so we put the food around in different areas). In my opinion, they really don't get along at all. I find the smaller one rather mean.

Our enclosure is about 4 feet wide by 12 feet long, and there really isn't a way to enlarge it. I also wouldn't want to cut it in half and separate them. They are symbolically my 9 year old son's tortoises and he really loves them. The thought of giving away the male is very sad to him. Is it a viable option to bring in another female? Is that a bad idea because of the limited size of the enclosure? I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks -Cindy

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
I would add two more females but I've never owned Russians so take my advice lightly . How many hides/retreats/visual barriers are in their area?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
If space is limited, it is probably better to rehome one instead of adding another.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm with Jaizei on this one. Can you build them a safe and secure outdoor pen? A male/female pair get along much better outside where they belong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have to agree with Jaizei and Yvonne. If the space was a lot bigger, you could add another female or two. If you can't add a lot more space, with lots of sight barriers,then the two should be separated or one rehomed. If they are left together, one could and most likely will bully the other to illness or death,

morbank

5 Year Member
The pen is outdoor. There are two hiding homes and an overturned log. There are two feeding flat eating areas and two water pans. The pen is on the side of the house with a very nice variation of shade (I live in sunny soCal) and sun, but it's between the side of the house and a cement walkway, so I can't make it wider than 4 feet. I would have thought 12 feet was plenty long for two small tortoises but apparently not! They have to be enclosed in the pen because I have other pets and a swimming pool.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Show us some pictures of your enclosure / yard we may have some good ideas for you to try.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
What is on the other side of the sidewalk?

Nice job on the enclosure!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In this case, with the info given, I agree that its best to separate them.

morbank

5 Year Member
This entire side of my house is a veggie garden and fruit trees. I removed two long veggie boxes for this enclosure. I could perhaps pull out another 5x5 garden box next to it and add another 5 ft of enclosure, but I couldn't make it wider than it is now.

Now the larger docile tortoise seems suddenly very weak tonight so I have to rush her to a vet in the a.m. If she does not fare well my problem will have fixed itself... :(

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Oh dear!
Let us know how it goes at the vet.

That will determine future advice.

The problem with getting more females is 1)lots more room needed and/or 2)they still may bully one or more torts. Then you have more torts to rehome.
Hope your female does ok!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You could also run a divider right down the middle of the enclosure, length wise that is not see through and this will allow them ample roaming space without the male pestering the female....and I hope your female is good ....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's what I was thinking too, Angela. Its plenty long enough to separate it in the middle and make two habitats.

morbank

5 Year Member
Burrito is sick, probably upper respiratory. Lots of meds, injections to come, nebulizer. Did an X-ray and she dies have eggs, but probably
Not her initial problem. Fingers crossed she comes out of this ok!

I did end up splitting the enclosure easily across the mid section for now since dr wants her to have some outdoor sun and alone time. Have the smaller tortoise a smaller section cuz dr said it was plenty of room.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1395200759.803930.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: