Getting a Red Foot-Last Minute Tips and Protein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
So I'm quite possibly getting a red foot tomorrow! :D. I was just wondering if anyone had some last minute tips on their care or anything that you think I may have overlooked. On thing that I do kinda of ponder is how you red foot owners incorperate protein in their diet. Like straight up meat, a special tortoise diet, dry catfood etc. Just what uou think the best method is. And is cypress mulch an ok subsrate? I never seem to have mold issues with my other reptiles and it holds humidity fairly well. Thanks for any info!

Kenny

5 Year Member
Tempe, Az
As far as protein goes, I use worms and roaches(b.dubia) once a month.
Cypress is ok, I prefer Peat Moss (but thats personal pref).
Keep it hot and humid and you should be ok. Make sure u have a large shallow water bowl, big enough for the RF to full get inside it.

thats all I got

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
I would probably follow this care sheet exactly, you probably already have seen it but I have heard it has the best info on Redfoots and covers almost everything...

http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

Plus this person's on TFO :)

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks guys and yeah I'm basing most of the care off that caresheet. And I'll have to give the roaches and worms a try. I was probably going to use cypress as the main substrate and then mixed with peat moss in the hide. Ahhh I'm just so excited for tomorrow! I'm also taking name suggestions :)

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
Sounds like you have a handle on it.

I think bugs and worms are going to be the best choice for protein, but I don't use them myself (except for those that my redfoots may catch on their own in their enclosure).

One of these times I want to establish a roach colony, but I need to win the wife over on that one, she's not real appreciative of the idea.

In the meantime I use cat food. Its Natural Balance brand, limited ingredient. The idea is it has no fillers, just duck and peas. I soak a LITTLE of it in hot water until softened about once a week.

Like has already been said ... WARM and HUMID, that's the key to redfoots (and maybe most torts)

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Alright you i mean we already got 3 cats here so we have cat food readily available. I might do cat food in winter and he/she can catch his/her own in summer. And about temps, I heard that 75 was for night time, 80-85 ambient during day, and about 90 basking spot. Is that OK or should I up everything like 5 degrees?

HarleyK

5 Year Member
Those temps sound good. Congratulations with your purchase and be sure to post some pics! So yeah keep your tort humid and warm!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Kyle said:
So I'm quite possibly getting a red foot tomorrow! :D. I was just wondering if anyone had some last minute tips on their care or anything that you think I may have overlooked. On thing that I do kinda of ponder is how you red foot owners incorperate protein in their diet. Like straight up meat, a special tortoise diet, dry catfood etc. Just what uou think the best method is. And is cypress mulch an ok subsrate? I never seem to have mold issues with my other reptiles and it holds humidity fairly well. Thanks for any info!

I've been working on a simple care sheet and diet in the Tortoise Library link below you can look at if you want.

Red-foots don't need a lot of protein, and cat food is really not a great way to provide it- although it is not a bad choice. People with larger herds look for foods that are cheap, store well, etc.- those of us with smaller herds don't share the same issues.

Some protein every couple weeks to a month is fine, and in general, live foods are better than others. In fact, I think you can offer bugs and worms pretty much any time you want within reason. Other protein options include lightly cooked egg, chicken or poultry, beef organ meat, oily fish (once in a while and be ready for stinky poo), etc.

In fact, if you only use it once in a while in small doses, most dog and cat foods will work. (If you use it as often as some sites suggest, however, you really should aim for a very low-fat version!)

Cypress is a fine substrate. The Library also discusses the Bioactive Substrate, the only option I think is clearly better (in some situations).

Name ideas- I like using local terms or place names, or playing with the species or scientific name. My 4 Cherry-heads are named for varieties of cherrys grown in the US- Attickus, Balathon, Chelan, and Black Tartarian. Local names would include Japuta, Morrocoy, Motelo, and Wayamu. There a millions of interesting place names in their range.

The species name gives us Cherry, Vermilion, Scarlet, Brick, Cardinal, Cerise, Garnet, Rose, Rosy, and Ruby as a sample. 'Carbonaria' means glowing coal or charcoal burner, so Weber, Kingsford, Char, Ember... Playing off the black part we can go with Onyx, Ebon, Ebony, etc. Wikipedia (cultural depictions of turtles) has some cultural turtles and tortoises to select from- Ijapa, Mzee, Shetw (how would you pronounce THAT??), Chelon, Aesop, Akupara, etc.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I just feed Dale and Ruby and Eddie Elk meat. Sometimes I'll feed them egg. I don't feed cat food but I do know of people who do and they do quite well with it. Dale just wouldn't eat it when it was offered to him (spoiled). :D I have also given the chicken and I give it to them raw not cooked. Good luck and post pictures. :)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Mine always ate the low fat cat food, until recently when I gave him some boiled chicken breast. Now he won't eat the cat food, so he gets boiled chicken, worms, turkey, fresh salmon (loves that). When he's outside, I see him with worms and slugs....once a grasshopper. I only feed him protein once or twice a month. When I do feed protein, he gets nothing else but the protein that day.

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Thanks for all the info guys! It really did clear up some misunderstanding with the protein. I'll prob. set him up in on of those cement mixing bens with like 2 in a substrate and a hot and cold side, humid hide etc. I'lll be sure to post pics. Might not be a for a while though as my camera is broken :/

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Hey I just got him and he's totally awesome! He's about 5-6 years old (i heard getting an established adult over a new hatchling was easier for newbies) and its roughly 5-6 inches. He has eatin a little already. Only thing is he keeps trying to escape. (trying to climb the walls) Is this normal for newly brought home torts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's perfectly normal activity. Seems like tortoises are a bit territorial and they try to get back to their original territory. He will soon settle down and realize that the food god will find him here too (sort of like santa claus). Just give him plenty of hiding places, lots of good food and water, and be very soft-spoken and gentle with him so he can settle in.

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Alright will do. Also I just noticed that he's makin like some weird noises? like he's makin them himself, not him hitting/scratching something else.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Like a click or an almost oinking grunt? Red-foots can make a variety of sounds and most are perfectly normal.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
When I first got my rf I learned that the air in them will be pushed in when the suck in their heads and or limbs. Also as for protein, if you haven't heard of Mazuri then do a search. It's a protein you should consider.

"pushed out" I meant

Kyle

5 Year Member
Maryland
Yeah the guy i got her from fed her that for protein and she looks pretty healthy so ill stick to that probably

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Kyle said:
Yeah the guy i got her from fed her that for protein and she looks pretty healthy so ill stick to that probably

Supplement with some Mazuri once a week, and add a bit of low fat cat food once every two weeks. As a treat, I suggest you offer her some Dubia roaches or crickets once a month. The nutrition of the roaches benefits the torts and the exoskeleton also helps wear the beak down.

Status
Not open for further replies.