Getting a Russian - help!

percy.j

Hiya!

So in a few months, I am getting a Russian Tortoise, and I just have a few questions really.

With the UVA / UVB light, is that the same thing as a basking light? The whole light basking thing is confusing me a bit!

I'm going to use a 50/50 sand/soil mixture for bedding but I just wondered if I was using a plastic box like everyone is saying, how big would it really need to be? Someone suggested one of the long flatish under the bed storage boxes which I have but I'm worried it will be too shallow, and he will climb out! Unless I put chicken wire over which someone said, will that help?

Lastly, hey I'm new!
My name is Allana, and my tortoise will be called Percy, so um thanks :) xx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the forum, Allana!

It's hard to get a big enough plastic box to fit a Russian tortoise and all the space he needs to wander. If he's an adult, he needs to be set up outside in a safe area. If he's a baby, a plastic box would probably be ok.

UVA and UVB are not the same thing. Your tortoise needs UVB. There are two kinds...the Mercury Vapor Bulb provides heat plus UVB, so it would also act as the basking light. If you use a tube-type fluorescent bulb for UVB, then you would also have to have a heat/basking bulb because the tube doesn't provide heat.

The under-the-bed storage bins are perfect size-wise, however, you're very astute in realizing the sides are not high enough and he'd climb right out.

I like cypress mulch or orchid bark, but quite a few folk on here use coco coir. I'm not a fan of sand/soil.

Read our care sheets pinned at the top of the russian tortoise section. They will help you to understand what your new Russian needs.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Salutations!
The bigget the better for enclosures.