Russian Tortoise Help! Lethargic or Lazy?

Tammycal

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
We have had our Russian Tortoise (our first!) for 2 months now. I am concerned that he is lethargic. He sleeps all the time until we get him out for a soak and then he eats afterwards. Then he goes back to his basking side and sleeps until the next day. Today, he didn’t even seem to want to open his eyes in his bath, then just fell asleep in his food which concerned me.
He has 2 lights - A basking light (82-85 degrees) and a UVB light that stays on 12 hours a day. Basking light is turned off when we go to bed and back on first thing in the morning.
He is currently eating dandelions, clover, zucchini, mixed greens.
His eyes and nose look clear. He just seems sooooo tired!
Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Of one, your basking temp is way off. It should be 95 to 100 f. They need this so they can digest their food otherwise the tort will stop eating and stay hiding all day. We have a russian tort section. Pleas go to it and read hectare sheets. They will help you get everything set up right. Please do come back with any questions

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
What kind of light? The compact fluorescent bulbs (curly shaped bulbs) have been known to harm tortoise eyes.

Tammycal

Maryland
Ok, so today I have changed his lighting. I just purchased a Zoo Med Power Sun bulb. Hopefully this will keep him warmer. I have a black light I can use at night as well.