Getting Large Map turtle to eat

kyle123

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi,

I have a fully grown five year old map turtle living in a 300 litre tank with two musk turtles. On the outside he seems to be in perfect health but has stopped eating the last week. He has eat some food but only about a tenth of what he normally does. I feed them dried shrimp and some turtle pelets. (By the way I do not know weather it is a boy or girl.) I have done a complete water change and still nothing. The only thing I have changed recently is adding a UVB bulb so I have no clue what it could be. The other two are eating fine. If anyone has any ideas what could be wrong it would be much appreciated

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Hi,

I have a fully grown five year old map turtle living in a 300 litre tank with two musk turtles. On the outside he seems to be in perfect health but has stopped eating the last week. He has eat some food but only about a tenth of what he normally does. I feed them dried shrimp and some turtle pelets. (By the way I do not know weather it is a boy or girl.) I have done a complete water change and still nothing. The only thing I have changed recently is adding a UVB bulb so I have no clue what it could be. The other two are eating fine. If anyone has any ideas what could be wrong it would be much appreciated
Hi @kyle123, have you noticed any change in weight in the map turtle? Can you post a pic? At 5 we should be able to tell if it is male or female.

Is it interested in greens or any other kind of produce?

Edit: what type of uvb bulb was added?

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
It looks female to me if I had to guess from the pictures, but a clear shot of the front claws and the tail will help determine sex.

Is there a chance the other turtles are competing over the food? Do you have a separate enclosure you could set up temporarily for the map? I'd hate to have any potential issues affect the other turtles also.

If possible, get a small scale so you can weigh the turtle and track the weight especially while she's not eating.

Not really sure, just brainstorming. @TechnoCheese I'm not sure if you have any advice? You seem to pop in on threads often with links to good info [emoji846]

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
Yeah thats a good shout Ill just weigh him everyday to see how much he looses. and I do have a spare tank but It would only fit on the floor so ill avoid setting that up. I dont belive it a problem with competing for food as there has never been a problem before and theyve lived together for over 4 years.

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
Heres some more photos

Attachments

• 20180408_154051.jpg
    20180408_154051.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180408_154054.jpg
    20180408_154054.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
  • 20180408_154056.jpg
    20180408_154056.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180408_154100.jpg
    20180408_154100.jpg
  • 20180408_154105.jpg
    20180408_154105.jpg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is a female Sabine Map Turtle. Graptemys sabinensis Also know as Ouachita Map Turtle. They have recently been upgraded to their own species designation.

These are some of the best swimming turtles that prefer deeper water. I feel they just don't do that well in a tank. Your turtle is small for a 5 year old female and shows the signs of life in a small tank. She shows just a bit of metabolic bone disease she has fought through and compounded by a basking light that is too desiccating and causes the rear margin curl and lifting you see.

The Stenotherus odoratus (also a female) you keep with her is a notorious tail nipper. Most often a stinkpot in a tank with another turtle will nip at the tail of the other turtle and cause it to crawl out an bask more than normal to get away from the bothersome nipping. They tend to do this a lot at night, so you may not see it. Because you have a female stinkpot, this is going to be a bit less of an issue, but still a concern.

Maps are also much less likely to eat greens than other basking turtles in the US. They really prefer clams, snails, and crustaceans. They will do very well on a diet of good pellet food, like Mazuri aquatic, but they do really need a lot of swimming room. They are also one of the most skittish turtles. In a tank, they are under constant stress as they can see things that would normally cause them to dive and hide, but have no way to get away.

We are also getting close to egg-laying season. With the addition of a new UVB light, she may have been put into a spring, egg laying cycle. Although not with a male, she could still possibly lay infertile eggs and may be off food for that reason. A possible concern for both your turtles that are mature females and being kept in a tank with no natural spots for egg laying.

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
Thanks so much for your help you know alot. I have found eggs in the tank before which are around the right size to have come from her. I keep here with two musk turtles so would you recmoned I give her away to a better home? I could get a larger tank but from what your saying a tank doesnt seem to be the way forward a pond does but because of the weather here in England that isnt possible.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the great info Mark. How large of a tank could you provide for her if you were to separate her?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks so much for your help you know alot. I have found eggs in the tank before which are around the right size to have come from her. I keep here with two musk turtles so would you recmoned I give her away to a better home? I could get a larger tank but from what your saying a tank doesnt seem to be the way forward a pond does but because of the weather here in England that isnt possible.

The size of eggs from your stinkpot would not be dramatically different than the map. The map would lay 5-8 at that size while the stinkpot would lay 1-3 probably.

Unfortunately - I am of the opinion an adult map should not be kept in a tank. It certainly can be done and many do. But they are wonderful, very active, great swimmers. Some of the best in the turtle world. Your musk can do well in a tank They are bottom crawlers and like to just ramble around the bottom looking for food. A map needs room to really swim

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
Yeah ive just put up a post on another website to find someone to re home her. I will hopefully find someone with a large home for her, thanks alot for your help

kyle123

5 Year Member
England
I'm convinced she's egg bound so I'm gonna try putting her in a nesting box for a couple hours a day. I can feel what feels like eggs from what I've researched so hopefully that will get her eating again then I should be able to give her away alot easier.