Getting my Golden Greek tomorrow. Help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oahu
I currently have two tortoise enclosures and planning on making another one for my Greek which I'll be getting tomorrow. For my Sulcata and Hermanns ambient air humidity is around 60% and 80 degrees farenheit. I also have humid hides which are 82ish degrees and 80-90% humidity. Basking temps under lamp range from 95-100 degrees. Substrate is coco coir/sand mix. Majority of the substrate is always damp. Will I be fine if I were to just go with the same setup my Sulcata and Hermann? I'm concerned because I read they can't tolerate humidity, but then again the same was said about Sulcatas for years. Thanks for the help.

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
The temps are good don't make the substrate TOO moist (a little damp not soaking) but other wise it's fine. Have one hide on the hotter side and another on the cooler side. If it's a baby they need more moisture and humidity for proper shell growth. If it's and adult then they don't need as much moisture/humidity.
-:tort:

Edit: How big is the enclosure? 2 feet by 4 feet is the smallest for an adult.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
Thanks for the help TurtleTortoise!! I'm going to start of with a 3x2. Should be more than enough for now for that one little guy haha!! Yes I usually keep my substrate damp esp under the basking where it dries out a lot.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
That all sounds good. Enjoy your new greek and please post pics when you can.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Congrats on getting the greek tortoise, I also can't wait to see photo's...

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
Thanks everyone. I got him today and was very pleased!! Bought him from Tyler over at tortoisesupply. How do I post pics here?

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
tortoiseboy8o8 said:
Thanks everyone. I got him today and was very pleased!! Bought him from Tyler over at tortoisesupply. How do I post pics here?

You can either save them as a .jpeg and then use attachments (on the very bottom of when your posting) or you have to get a photo bucket account and do all that.
-:tort:

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
Heres some pics.

Attachments

• 2011-07-22 14.35.21.jpg
    2011-07-22 14.35.21.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2011-07-23 09.16.11.jpg
    2011-07-23 09.16.11.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 2011-07-23 09.17.08.jpg
    2011-07-23 09.17.08.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 39

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
tortoiseboy8o8 said:
I'm concerned because I read they can't tolerate humidity, but then again the same was said about Sulcatas for years.

Very astute observation ;) Amazing how quickly things can change, isn't it?

I house my Greek in exactly the same manner as I house my Sulcatas, Russians, and Stars. Soil substrate, watered daily, misted daily, and keep them warm enough to digest and be healthy but not so hot as to bake all the moisture out of their little bodies.

tortoiseboy8o8

5 Year Member
Oahu
Kristina said:
tortoiseboy8o8 said:
I'm concerned because I read they can't tolerate humidity, but then again the same was said about Sulcatas for years.

Very astute observation ;) Amazing how quickly things can change, isn't it?

I house my Greek in exactly the same manner as I house my Sulcatas, Russians, and Stars. Soil substrate, watered daily, misted daily, and keep them warm enough to digest and be healthy but not so hot as to bake all the moisture out of their little bodies.

LoL!!!! Yes very true. I do what Tom does to his Leopards and Sulcatas. Unfortunately my Sulcata had a late start so he has slight pyrimiding, all the new growth smooth though. I've been doing that with my Hermanns also from baby so I guess its ok for my new Greek too =D

Status
Not open for further replies.