Golden Greeks

Location (City and/or State)
Gulf Coast of Florida
So, looking to start a conversation here, hopefully with a lot of input from Tom! I was originally going to obtain a sulcata, but got frightened about his outdoor keeping. I have settled on a Greek, particularly a "golden" Greek, which from my limited research requires slightly different things in regards to humidity. Unless everyone is wrong, who knows! So, what do YOU know in regards to "Golden" Greeks? I would be obtaining a baby, hopefully.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Tom doesn't really keep the testudos, except maybe Russians. I would read the care sheet for Greek tortoises here on the Forum. It was written by a very knowledgeable person. He talked about the so called Golden Greek someplace here on the Forum. I'll try to find it for you.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I just did a 'search' looking for 'golden greek' and I checked the 'posted by' box, entering HermanniChris in the space provided. Too many results came up for me to include them here. Do your own search, and read what Chris has to say about Golden Greek tortoises.

TurtleBug

10 Year Member!
I have settled on a Greek, particularly a "golden" Greek, which from my limited research requires slightly different things in regards to humidity. Unless everyone is wrong, who knows! So, what do YOU know in regards to "Golden" Greeks? I would be obtaining a baby, hopefully.

Good choice! Goldens are fantastic pets. :)

Golden Greeks need a deep substrate they can dig into, with both dry and slightly damp areas. Golden hatchlings love to dig into warm, slightly damp substrate and sleep there. This helps keep them hydrated and allows them to grow up with smooth shells. No "closed chambers" are needed.

Gulf Coast of Florida
Good choice! Goldens are fantastic pets. :)

Golden Greeks need a deep substrate they can dig into, with both dry and slightly damp areas. Golden hatchlings love to dig into warm, slightly damp substrate and sleep there. This helps keep them hydrated and allows them to grow up with smooth shells. No "closed chambers" are needed.

Great! Would you suggest loose coconut fiber or Cyprus mulch for substrate?

Gulf Coast of Florida
What confuses me the most is HERE: http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Turtles-Tortoises/Turtle-Care/Golden-Greek-Tortoise/

It states that Golden Greeks require much less humidity than other Greeks and that humidity must stay under 50%. My house stays around 48% naturally, so basically I would NOT be misting the mulch, which goes against everything else I've read. I've also read that Golden Greeks don't reaaaallllyyy exist and aren't that much different. So, what do I do? Humidity high? Low? at 50%? The humidity doesn't seem like the thing to goof up with.

Raymo2477

5 Year Member
Eastern, PA, USA
There is no such thing as a Golden Greek. There are some subspecies that have a high yellow coloration.

Make sure you know the specific subspecies you have. In testudo gracea their are 10+ species, some from Tunisia, Libya, Iran, Palestine, Turkey, Romania, Armenia.....all with unique requirement on heat and humidity.

Lindsinic

I am having the same exact concerns/confusion. I read the exact same ReptilesMagazine article you did and came out of it thinking my son's new Golden Greek hatchling is a "desert tortoise". I was thinking dry coconut fiber substrate, maybe one 15 minute warm soak a day and heat/UVB in the mid to high 80's.

Now I read responses (including an answer from Backwater Reptiles, where we ordered the hatchling) that they mist the enclosure once a day. I am so confused, because I thought this will cause shell rot.

We've only had the hatchling for about a week, but he seems to be sleeping and burrowing a LOT throughout the day. I wake him up to even eat...and he isn't eating much at that. Sometimes we'll rehydrate some freeze-dried pear or apple and give it with mixed greens or kale. Always lightly dusted with calcium powder. Are we doing something wrong?

I want Rocky to thrive and be comfortable and happy. I just wish I could have a clear understanding of how to care for him and his environment.

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_8519.JPG
    IMG_8519.JPG
    944.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31

Lindsinic

Here is Rocky's enclosure. He's having a soak at the moment.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 29

Zlatan

Palatine
I am having the same exact concerns/confusion. I read the exact same ReptilesMagazine article you did and came out of it thinking my son's new Golden Greek hatchling is a "desert tortoise". I was thinking dry coconut fiber substrate, maybe one 15 minute warm soak a day and heat/UVB in the mid to high 80's.

Now I read responses (including an answer from Backwater Reptiles, where we ordered the hatchling) that they mist the enclosure once a day. I am so confused, because I thought this will cause shell rot.

We've only had the hatchling for about a week, but he seems to be sleeping and burrowing a LOT throughout the day. I wake him up to even eat...and he isn't eating much at that. Sometimes we'll rehydrate some freeze-dried pear or apple and give it with mixed greens or kale. Always lightly dusted with calcium powder. Are we doing something wrong?

I want Rocky to thrive and be comfortable and happy. I just wish I could have a clear understanding of how to care for him and his environment.

Any advice is MUCH appreciated!

Hi, I am new here. And not an expert. But, yes I have read on multiple sites that hatchling require a bit more humidity than adults.

I have a 22 year old Golden Greek and few months ago I switched him to coconut fiber and sand, 50/50. About a month or month and a half ago he developed shell rot. So I switched to soil and sand, 50/50. But now he has sand all over himself, even around eyes and mouth. I am not sure if sand is good at all. Before all that he was on alfalfa pellets for years and never had any issues yet I've read that alfalfa might be bad for them. The only reason I switched to coconut sand mix. Go figure…

Zlatan

Palatine
Here is Rocky's enclosure. He's having a soak at the moment.
I've read that ideal greek tortoise substrate is much drier than usual. That it should be mix of topsoil, or peat moss, with sand. Higher in sand. Again, that is for adults. Not sure about hatchlings.

From the images, it looks like coconut fiber might be just fine for him. My guy is an adult so he had some problems with it. I don't know if tortoises have a particular breeding period but recently when he got aroused he had his penis out, it happened about the same time he got that shell rot, he would drag himself around and a lot of coconut fiber got stuck to him. He couldn't retract his penis for few days and some coconut fiber got pulled in with his penis. He is all good now.

Lindsinic

Hi, I am new here. And not an expert. But, yes I have read on multiple sites that hatchling require a bit more humidity than adults.

I have a 22 year old Golden Greek and few months ago I switched him to coconut fiber and sand, 50/50. About a month or month and a half ago he developed shell rot. So I switched to soil and sand, 50/50. But now he has sand all over himself, even around eyes and mouth. I am not sure if sand is good at all. Before all that he was on alfalfa pellets for years and never had any issues yet I've read that alfalfa might be bad for them. The only reason I switched to coconut sand mix. Go figure…

I'm not using any sand or soil. Just 100% coconut fiber. Rocky is staying very clean! I thought that maybe upping the daily soaks to 2 would help with hydration for a hatchling?

Zlatan

Palatine
If I were raising a hatchling I would probably stick to what you have been doing so far. Unless you are told otherwise by someone that has much more experience. I would also take him to a vet, preferably to one that works with tortoises, and just make sure you know where you are starting from. After about a month or two I would just go for one more check up. If everything is fine I don't see a reason to worry.