Getting my tort to eat mazuri

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I use both Zoo Med Grassland Tortoise Diet and Mazuri Tortoise Diet (not the LS). I put a few kibbles of each along with a few kibbles of alfalfa pellets into a small container and add too much water then cover the container and put it in the fridge overnight. The next morning all the pellets have absorbed the water and are ready to mash up with a fork. After I've got them all mashed and broken down into less than crumbs I toss them into the greens making sure they are well distributed and are no clumps. If your tortoise won't eat it this way, then use less pellets. You have to get him used to the smell of them, and it may mean starting out very small - only one or two pellets.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I may have too many animals , but I don't play "disguise the food" I soak it and put it down for him . When he gets hungry enough he will eat it . I am not denying him food , he is refusing to eat it ! ;)

Tortski

Arizona
Well, we ran out of food for him yesterday. My mom gave him a piece if broccoli for the time being. I also gave him some pellets, but the broccoli is no where near big enough to fill him up, so hopefully he eats the pellets.

Erik Elvis

Delaware
I think broccoli is on the do not feed list. As far as mazuri I introduced it all mushed and mixed up in shredded rehydrated hay. I’m not sure if he had it before I got him but he had no problem taking it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I think broccoli is on the do not feed list. As far as mazuri I introduced it all mushed and mixed up in shredded rehydrated hay. I’m not sure if he had it before I got him but he had no problem taking it.

You R right , anything in the Brassica ( cabbage) family is hard for our torts to digest ! ;)

Tortski

Arizona
Well, it's all we had, but I will keep that in mind. We also have bermuda in the backyard, but he only eats it if I put it in a pepper. He already ate the bit of the broccoli that he can bite off, but hasn't touched the pellets.