Getting New Enclosure for Russian

Echaryn

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I've been trying to get a new enclosure for my Russian tortoise, and when reading the care sheets/guides, it seems like there's some contradicting advice. I don't know if I need a covering for the new enclosure(the old one does not), some sources say it's beneficial, while I've seen others say it's harmful. I know the enclosure should maintain a certain level of humidity, and since the substrate tends to dry out easily, should I get a covering to better regulate the humidity? For the overall enclosure, would using an emptied bookshelf with the shelves taken out be okay, or is it absolutely necessary for me to purchase one? I'm trying to get a relatively big enclosure, as the care sheets recommended. Would you usually put the enclosure on a table, or is it okay to put it on the floor? Sorry for the many questions.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I've been trying to get a new enclosure for my Russian tortoise, and when reading the care sheets/guides, it seems like there's some contradicting advice. I don't know if I need a covering for the new enclosure(the old one does not), some sources say it's beneficial, while I've seen others say it's harmful. I know the enclosure should maintain a certain level of humidity, and since the substrate tends to dry out easily, should I get a covering to better regulate the humidity? For the overall enclosure, would using an emptied bookshelf with the shelves taken out be okay, or is it absolutely necessary for me to purchase one? I'm trying to get a relatively big enclosure, as the care sheets recommended. Would you usually put the enclosure on a table, or is it okay to put it on the floor? Sorry for the many questions.
Welcome to the forum. Yes, there are contradictions all over the internet. We have experienced tort owners who rigorously test the care sheets developed on this site by them. Disregard a lot of what you see on the internet because a lot of tines, it is old, old information.

There are lots of threads on building indoor & out door enclosures on this site & always many who show off their handwork, as well as many who buy from vendors.

Please post photos of your Russian. We love photos!!

S2G

AL
Imo a table is a terrible way to keep these. It looks great & provides room. However, it takes a lot of effort to keep things in the right zone. I like the humidity 50-70% & its tough keeping that stable with a full open top like that. My che is always cutting on as well. Enclosing things more keeps the humidity up & temps where you need them without a ton of wasted energy.

I personally think the table is something left over from the old days.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
How long have you had your russian? Do you know how old he is? Like baby, juvenile, sub adult, adult?

If he is still a young tort, he really does benefit from having a closed enclosure. You asked about a book shelf...that can work very well if you add a cover to it.

It definitely should be up on a table. The floor is much colder than the room it's in. Try it out...lay on the floor for a little while and pay attention to the temp. It really is much cooler.

So now you have a book case on a table. You cover it by adding plastic sheeting. If you or someone in your family is handy with some 2x2's and a saw, you can make your own cover. It would only have to be an upright on each end of your bookcase, with a horizontal piece across the enclosure. Like this, but each end can be a single piece of wood instead of two pieces.
IMG_1511635956.495114.jpg
You hang lights,etc from the overhead bar. Then you drape a clear shower curtain liner over the whole thing, lights and all. You have a closed enclosure!

Or, if you have some birthday money or can talk your parents into it, you can get one of these.
20200524_162330.jpg
They are called portable greenhouses, and you just search on Amazon for them. They come lots of sizes, so you'll need to know the size of your bookcase first. Depending on the size, you can get one for less than $100. Here's one that's 6ft long x 3ft wide x 3ft high for $43.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Echaryn

Texas
How long have you had your russian? Do you know how old he is? Like baby, juvenile, sub adult, adult?

If he is still a young tort, he really does benefit from having a closed enclosure. You asked about a book shelf...that can work very well if you add a cover to it.

It definitely should be up on a table. The floor is much colder than the room it's in. Try it out...lay on the floor for a little while and pay attention to the temp. It really is much cooler.

So now you have a book case on a table. You cover it by adding plastic sheeting. If you or someone in your family is handy with some 2x2's and a saw, you can make your own cover. It would only have to be an upright on each end of your bookcase, with a horizontal piece across the enclosure. Like this, but each end can be a single piece of wood instead of two pieces.
View attachment 321056
You hang lights,etc from the overhead bar. Then you drape a clear shower curtain liner over the whole thing, lights and all. You have a closed enclosure!

Or, if you have some birthday money or can talk your parents into it, you can get one of these.
View attachment 321057
They are called portable greenhouses, and you just search on Amazon for them. They come lots of sizes, so you'll need to know the size of your bookcase first. Depending on the size, you can get one for less than $100. Here's one that's 6ft long x 3ft wide x 3ft high for $43.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GOO83UK/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20
I think he may be a sub-adult or adult at this point... we've had him for a while, but he wasn't a baby when we first got him. I might still get a covering though, since it seems that the current enclosure loses humidity easily. Can I ask what the blue thing is in the enclosure in the last photo?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Can I ask what the blue thing is in the enclosure in the last photo?

This is not my enclosure, but I'm quite certain that it is a liner under the substrate. It's to protect the wood of the enclosure and prevent leaks. You would need to line your bookcase, too.