Using cardbox to cover enclosure?

Geng

5 Year Member
A stupid question, but does anyone use cardbox plates to cover their enclosure and does this keep the heat?
To keep the heat I'm trying to cover the enclosure because the weather is starting to get chilly, but I don't know if covering it with cardboxes will work.

Perhaps any other and better ideas to cover the enclosure?

Thanks!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Cardboard would insulate very well. But it could create other problems such as a fire hazard if too close to a heat lamp or mold issues if it gets damp.
Why not post a photo of the enclosure and let the collective here come up with some cheap and easy solutions?

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
I was thinking of doing the same thing.... Maybe wrapping/taping the cardboard with aluminum foil to generate more heat and moisture reflection? might help with both the fire and mold issues as well.

Yelloweyed

5 Year Member
SoCal California
You could try Reflectix. It is metallic foil-covered bubble insulation. It comes in different widths and lengths.

It won't work for Michigan winters but it's good for So. California winter nights.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I used cardboard for a short time in my "tortoise beginning".
I painted it black and covered it with clear packing tape...lol

However, an aluminum foil tent would probably be my next "go to" in a pinch if I needed something like that again.