Getting outdoor enclosure ready--lots of questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haleye97

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise and am in the process of making an outdoor habitat for him.

How do I keep unwanted weeds that could be poisonous from growing in it ad up through his plants?

What is the best substrate?

How do I create a little water area for him?

The thing I am most worried about is poisonous plants growing through his thick areas of grazing plants. I bought a seed mix from Carolina Pet Supply for him.

Any other pointers?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
You can just use untreated garden dirt or organic topsoil (you can get bags of topsoil at places like ACE hardware w/o fertilizer or manure).
If you want to start fresh and the soil is laden with weeds you are not sure of, cut them down to the ground in your enclosure.
Put down a few thick layers of newspaper over the whole thing. Then top this off with clean garden or topsoil and seed with your CPS seeds. The newspaper will last long enough to keep the weeds from growing through, but eventually disintegrate.

Then you won't have to risk unknown weeds at least in that area.

I just sink a shallow plastic or ceramic pot in the soil. Actually, I like to nest one inside a second one. Surround this with small rocks. Then, when you want to clean the water dish out, the bottom dish acts as a place holder so you can replace it easily.

Make sure you place some pavers here and there for basking. A gravel area is nice as grey gravel absorbs warmth more than plain dirt. Russian tortoises come from areas with gravely soil.

Add some plants for hiding under like Lavender, Rosemary and grasses like Fescue or Carex.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Lynne gave you a good idea to start fresh with your growing weeds in the pen. I like to be familiar with weeds local to my area so I can ID good ones and let them grow ;)

I made my pens on the dirt that was there. I added some basic topsoil to certain areas as needed.

I have 3 clay terra cotta saucers placed in the pen so they have water at all times. I have seen them self soak and drink from these more times than I can count! They do use them :D

Cap your corners or better yet have a lip along the entire perimeter of the pen. They can't climb out if you do that.

Lots of space and lots to do! I have hills, rocks, pathways, logs and lots of plants. They are so happy to graze and cruise the pen that I don't have bored pacing torts trying to escape all day. Make it an enjoyable environment for the tortoise and you, too will enjoy watching him more! I promise.

Haleye97

5 Year Member
Bump. Haven't gotten the cage started yet outside. Was on vacation and a lot came up. Still open to suggestions. Also- is it bad I used organic soil that has manure to plant his seed mix that will go in the outdoor habitat?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
If you feel you need to use top soil, then return it for a top soil that doesn't have manure in it. Make sure it is top soil and not potting soil. Often, potting soil is super charged with fertilizers and weed killers and usually it contains those little styrofoam beads that tortoises live to eat and get impacted on.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I wouldn't. My preference. Usually it would have a high uric acid content, and unless the animals it came from were organically raised would contain all manner of medicated things passed through the gut tract. Think feed lot or dairy lot wastes. Hormones and antibiotics and lots of meds.

Here's a picture of my russian outdoor pen in the early days. I just went with the soil and 3/4"- crushed gray rock that was already there. ImageUploadedByTortForum1375250316.852408.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375250442.669303.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.